Thank you for your interest in San Francisco State University Graduate Business programs.
The application process for the Graduate Business programs is outlined in the steps on this page.
- Access the online application through the new Cal State Apply site. Select the specific semester of interest. You will need to create a an account on the system the first time.
- Select the degree program of interest, e.g. Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Accountancy, Master of Science in Business Analytics
- The Campus location on Cal State Apply is currently only listing "Main Campus" for any program you select. But please note that all Graduate Business courses are offered at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, 835 Market Street, Suite 600 except the Biotech MBA with classes in South San Francisco.
- A $70 nonrefundable application fee is required of all applicants applying to our programs.
- After you've completed My Profile, you will have access to My Application. Here you will find four sections: Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information, and Program Materials.
- You only need to complete the Personal Information and Program Materials sections for all our graduate business programs. Ignore the Academic History and Supporting Information sections.
- In the Questions segment of the Program Materials section, select the sub-program of interest e.g. "Biotech MBA in South San Francisco" or "MBA for Executives".
- Program Materials is the quadrant where you will find information about uploading the following required documents:
Submit your most recent résumé. Full time work experience is recommended for admission to the program. Current incoming class average full time work experience is three years. Please include any internships or part-time work experience as well.
The Personal Statement must be between 500–750 words saved as a .doc or .pdf document. Your Statement of Purpose should include responses to these four questions:
- How will a master’s degree prepare you for your future goals?
- Explain any accomplishments that you feel are particularly important in relation to your future goals. Cite specific examples to support a stronger application.
- Why do you feel San Francisco State University Graduate Business Programs would be a good fit for you?
- What do you expect to contribute to your peers in the classroom?
- Applicants are required to upload legible unofficial copies of complete transcripts from each college or university attended (including study abroad coursework, or community college coursework, even if this coursework appears as transfer credit on your degree transcript). Photographs or screenshots of transcripts will not be accepted. The Division of Graduate Studies may request official transcripts at any point during the application review process.
- Applicants who are admitted to the program will then be required to submit official transcripts to the Division of Graduate Studies in order to secure their offer of admission.
Letters of Recommendation
Please refer to instructions on Cal State Apply website. Please access My Application where you will find four quadrants. Program Materials is the quadrant where you will find information about requesting letters of recommendation.
GMAT or GRE Test
The GMAT or the GRE test is required for admission. The MS in Business Analytics requires the GRE test which cannot be waived.
Official test results must be sent to San Francisco State University directly from the testing center. Instructions for registering and test score submission are below:
- To register for the GMAT test and download GMAT preparation software, visit the GMAT website
- Our GMAT school codes are: F87HP99 for the MBA, and F87HP10 for the MSA program
For any questions, you may call 1(800) 717-GMAT
- To register for the GRE test and download GRE preperation software, visit the ETS website for GRE test
- Our GRE school code is: 4684
- For any questions, you may call ETS at 1(866)473-4373
MBA & MSA Applicants: If you take the GMAT exam after April 1, 2020 and the test is administered online due to COVID-19 restrictions, it may cover only verbal, quantitative and IR sections with no analytical writing assessment. In this case, you will also need to schedule a 45-minute proctored online writing examination with our graduate business admissions staff. Collection of this writing assessment will allow us to determine if you have met the California State University (CSU) Level 1 writing admissions requirement. One of our graduate business programs staff will contact you to schedule this after we have reviewed your application and test scores.
GMAT / GRE Test Waiver
MBA, MSA and MBA for Executives program applicants with seven or more years of full time professional work experience may waive the GMAT/GRE test and would be invited in for an interview and a writing test instead. The GMAT/GRE test is also waived for applicants with doctoral degrees.
If you wish to apply for a GMAT/GRE waiver on the grounds that you have 7+ years of full-time professional work experience, kindly fill out this Waiver form for us to do an evaluation. If you are granted a preliminary waiver of the GMAT/GRE by email, you will need to attend an interview (in-person or video) and do a written test. Please note that after the interview we will make the final determination of your request to waive the GMAT/GRE admissions requirement.
TOEFL (or IELTS/PTE) Test
All graduate business applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English, must demonstrate English language proficiency. To demonstrate your English language ability, please request to have your official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic score report to San Francisco State University's Division of Graduate Studies. Scores are valid for two years from the test date. Check the English Requirement needed to apply. The English language testing requirement will be waived for applicants who have earned a U.S. Bachelor's or Master's degree.
- To register for the TOEFL, call 1(800) GO-TOEFL or visit the TOEFL website. The TOEFL school code is 4683
- To register for the IELTS exam, visit the IELTS website
- To register for the Pearson Test of English (PTE), please refer to the Pearson Test of English website
Check Your Application Status
- Once you have submitted your application, you may check your application status online.
- General information can be found on San Francisco State’s Domestic student admissions and International student admissions page.
Financial Affidavit and Medical Insurance for International Students
- Applicants who need a student visa, must present proof of financial resources and health insurance once they are admitted to our program.
- Please follow the instructions on the SF State I-20 page to submit proof of Financial resources and Medical insurance.
Contact the Graduate Business Programs office at email@example.com.
You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF files, please visit: for a free Adobe Reader download.