This is a STEM-designated program, which allows international students with an F-1 visa to extend their training in the U.S. by an additional 24 months after graduation.
The Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) is a new degree program within the Lam Family College of Business at San Francisco State University, a leading institution for quality business education in the Bay Area for over 50 years.
Is the MS in Business Analytics program right for me?
- I am comfortable with math and quantitative analysis
- I have a four-year undergraduate degree in one of the following areas: economics, engineering, mathematics, science, finance, accounting, management science, information systems, or quantitative marketing
- I do not have an undergraduate degree in one of the above areas, but I do have several years of professional work experience in one of those areas
- I am ready to enhance my knowledge and skills in business analytics
- Complete in three or four semesters
- Take classes taught by distinguished faculty with industry experience
- Choose between taking classes on a full-time or part-time basis
The program has 10 courses:
- Programming Languages for Analytics
- Applied Multivariate Methods
- Business Intelligence
- Data Management for Analytics
- Data Mining and Advanced Statistical Methods
- Machine Learning for Business Analysts
- Culminating Project
- Plus three electives upon advisement
For details and listing of courses, see SF State Academic Bulletin.
The Lam Family College of Business is honored to work with over 120 tenure-track and adjunct faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching and innovation. As scholars and practitioners of their specific disciplines, our outstanding faculty provide participants with a relevant and challenging curriculum.
Location and Class Hours
Conveniently located at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, in the heart of San Francisco, the Graduate Business Programs provides unique networking opportunities and access to the ever-growing Bay Area business and tech community.
San Francisco State University Downtown Campus
835 Market Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, CA 94103
Classes are held Monday through Friday, from either 2 to 4:45 p.m., or from 6:30 to 9:15 p.m.
- Four-year bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Undergraduate 3.0 GPA
- Statement of Purpose
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors or professors
- GRE Test. An average test score of 155 on the Quantitative and 150 on the Verbal sections of the test and a minimum Analytical writing score of 4.0 is required. A lower Analytical writing score may be accepted for Conditional admission and student must take approved writing course after joining the program. GRE is waived for applicants with a doctoral degree. Only the GRE test is accepted for admissions to this program, not the GMAT.
Foreign language test is required of all applicants who have earned their undergraduate degree from a country where the official language is not English. One of the following tests taken within the past two years are accepted:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of at least 88 (or 570 on PBT)
- IELTS score of at least 6.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) academic overall score of at least 59
(minimum scores updates as of Fall 2019)
Spring 2020 Admits: Prerequisite courses for the MSBA program are statistics and college-level programming. Applicants are eligible to apply without the prerequisite(s), and may receive conditional admission. To satisfy these prerequisite prior to the start of the first semester, applicants may take one of the online courses approved by our program.
*Fall 2020 Admits: Prerequisite courses for the MSBA program are BUS 776 - Data Analysis for Managers and BUS 782 - Information Systems for Management with a grade of a B- or higher. Students can be waived from both courses through completion of equivalent statistics and information systems college-level coursework (with a grade of a B- or better) satisfied prior to a student's semester of admissions. Applicants are eligible to apply without the prerequisite(s) and may be conditionally admitted to the MSBA program contingent on completing BUS 776 and BUS 782 by the end of their first semester in the program.
*Pending University Bulletin approval.
How to apply to our MS in Business Analytics program
Contact the Graduate Business Programs office at email@example.com or call (415) 817-4300.