This is a STEM-designated program, which allows international students with an F-1 visa to extend their training in the U.S. by an additional 24 months after graduation.
The Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) is a STEM-designated degree program within the Lam Family College of Business at San Francisco State University, a leading institution for quality business education in the Bay Area for over 50 years.
Is the MS in Business Analytics program right for me?
- I am comfortable with math and quantitative analysis
- I have a four-year undergraduate degree in one of the following areas: economics, engineering, mathematics, science, finance, accounting, management science, information systems, or quantitative marketing
- I do not have an undergraduate degree in one of the above areas, but I do have several years of professional work experience in one of those areas
- I am ready to enhance my knowledge and skills in business analytics
- Complete in three or four semesters
- Take classes taught by distinguished faculty with industry experience
- Choose between taking classes on a full-time or part-time basis
The program has 10 courses:
- Programming Languages for Analytics
- Applied Multivariate Methods
- Business Intelligence
- Data Management for Analytics
- Data Mining and Advanced Statistical Methods
- Machine Learning for Business Analysts
- Culminating Project
- Plus three electives upon advisement
For details and listing of courses, see SF State Academic Bulletin.
Master of Science in Business Analytics Practicum Program
As part of the Master of Science in Business Analytics Program (MSBA), students complete a data analytics project—with the guidance of a client in a partner company and an MSBA faculty mentor—to reach maturity in data-driven decision making.
Our MS in Business Analytics graduate students can help you with your data analytics project. Click here for more information.
The Lam Family College of Business is honored to work with over 120 tenure-track and adjunct faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching and innovation. As scholars and practitioners of their specific disciplines, our outstanding faculty provide participants with a relevant and challenging curriculum.
Location and Class Hours
Conveniently located at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, in the heart of San Francisco, the Graduate Business Programs provides unique networking opportunities and access to the ever-growing Bay Area business and tech community.
San Francisco State University Downtown Campus
835 Market Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, CA 94103
Classes are held Monday through Friday, from either 2 to 4:45 p.m., or from 6:30 to 9:15 p.m.
- Four-year bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Grade point average: Final GPA of bachelor's degree, or the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of college coursework completed, must be at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Or earned a master's degree with a 3.0 GPA. Applicants with GPA between 2.75-2.99 may be admitted on an exceptional basis.
- Statement of Purpose
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors or professors
- GRE Test. An average test score of 155 on the Quantitative and 150 on the Verbal sections of the test and a minimum Analytical writing score of 4.0 is required. A lower Analytical writing score may be accepted for Conditional admission and student must take approved writing course after joining the program. MSBA applicants may waive the GRE test if at least one of the following conditions is met (applicants will instead be invited in for an interview and a 45-minute writing examination): 1) Completed doctoral or master's degree in quantitative area from a recognized/accredited program; 2) Minimum 3.0 GPA with five or more years of full-time, professional work experience; 3) Completed an undergraduate degree in business with a cumulative 3.5 (or higher) GPA.
Foreign language test is required of all applicants who have earned their undergraduate degree from a country where the official language is not English. One of the following tests taken within the past two years are accepted:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of at least 88 (or 570 on PBT)
- IELTS score of at least 6.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) academic overall score of at least 59
(minimum scores updates as of Fall 2019)
Prerequisite courses for the MSBA program are DS 776 (Data Analysis for Managers) and ISYS 782 (Information Systems for Management) completed from an accredited college, within the past 7 years, with a grade of a B- or higher (subject to faculty review for course equivalency). Applicants are eligible to apply without the prerequisite(s) and may be conditionally admitted to the MSBA program contingent on completing DS 776 and ISYS 782 by the end of their first semester in the program.
The DS 776 pre-requisite may be completed prior to joining the program by taking an introductory statistics course at a community college. Prospective applicants are encouraged to take such a course from an accredited college or university. Online certificate courses do not fulfill the prerequisite requirements.
How to apply to our MS in Business Analytics program
Contact the Graduate Business Programs office at email@example.com or call (415) 817-4300.