The Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) is a STEM-designated degree program within the Lam Family College of Business at San Francisco State University, a leading institution for quality business education in the San Francisco - Silicon Valley for over 50 years that prepares students to succeed in a digital economy and commits to sustainable business, diversity, social justice, and global partnerships.
Is the MS in Business Analytics program right for me?
- “I am comfortable with math and quantitative analysis”
- “I have a four-year undergraduate degree in one of the following areas: economics, engineering, mathematics, science, finance, accounting, management science, information systems, or quantitative marketing.”
- “I do not have a quantitative background but I am interested in pursuing a career in business analytics.”
- “I do not have an undergraduate degree in one of the above areas, but I do have several years of professional work experience in one of those areas.”
- “I am ready to enhance my knowledge and skills in business analytics.”
Program Features and Benefits
Located at the heart of the world’s innovation hub San Francisco - Silicon Valley, the MSBA program prepares students to be the front and center of the digital era and to excel in the broad data-driven industries. The MSBA program is STEM-designated for its focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The program places the emphasis on experiential learning by offering students hands-on practical experience in industry data-driven projects. Our students develops data science skills, business acumen and organizational savvy that they will carry on in their careers to complex business problems.
- Complete in three or four semesters
- Take classes taught by distinguished faculty with industry experience
- Choose between taking classes on a full-time or part-time basis.
The program includes 10 courses in the following areas:
- Business Intelligence
- Data Mining
- Database Management in Analytics
- Programming Skills and Tools for Business Analysts
- Business Applications of Multivariate Methods
- Business Applications of Machine Learning
- Research Project in Business
- 3 Elective Courses (potentially eligible for earning a Graduate Certificate after completing a 3-course concentration in these areas: Accounting, Enterprise Cybersecurity, Enterprise, Information Systems, Ethics & Compliance, Ethical Artificial Intelligence, Finance, International Business & Global Leadership, Marketing in the Digital Economy, or Sustainable Business)
For details and listing of courses, see SF State Academic Bulletin.
As part of the Master of Science in Business Analytics Program (MSBA), students complete a data analytics project—with the guidance of a client in a partner company and an MSBA faculty mentor—to reach maturity in data-driven decision making.
Our MS in Business Analytics graduate students can help you with your data analytics project. Click here for more information.
The Lam Family College of Business is honored to work with over 120 tenure-track and adjunct faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching and innovation. As scholars and practitioners of their specific disciplines, our outstanding faculty provide participants with a relevant and challenging curriculum.
- Four-year bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Grade point average: Final GPA of bachelor's degree, or the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of college coursework completed, must be at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Or earned a master's degree with a 3.0 GPA. Applicants with GPA between 2.75-2.99 may be admitted on an exceptional basis.
- Statement of Purpose
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors or professors
- GRE Test. An average test score of 155 on the Quantitative and 150 on the Verbal sections of the test and a minimum Analytical writing score of 4.0 is required. A lower Analytical writing score may be accepted for Conditional admission and student must take approved writing course after joining the program. GRE is waived for the following applicants:
- Recognized Ph.D. or MS in a quantitative area;
- Students from AACSB accredited business schools with GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Students from AACSB accredited business schools with GPA of 3.0 or above AND 5 years of working experience.
- Foreign language test is required of all applicants who have earned their undergraduate degree from a country where the official language is not English. One of the following tests taken within the past two years are accepted:
- TOEFL Internet Based Test score of at least 88 (or 570 on PBT)
- IELTS score of at least 6.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) academic overall score of at least 59 (minimum scores updates as of Fall 2019)
- Prerequisite courses for the MSBA program are DS 776 (Data Analysis for Managers) and ISYS 782 (Information Systems for Management) completed from an accredited college, within the past 7 years, with a grade of a B- or higher (subject to faculty review for course equivalency). Applicants are eligible to apply without the prerequisite(s) and may be conditionally admitted to the MSBA program contingent on completing DS 776 and ISYS 782 by the end of their first semester in the program.
- The DS 776 pre-requisite may be completed prior to joining the program by taking an introductory statistics course at a community college. Prospective applicants are encouraged to take such a course from an accredited college or university. Online certificate courses do not fulfill the prerequisite requirements.
Our application deadlines are:
- Round 1: January 15
- Round 2: March 15
- Round 3: May 1 (Fall Application Deadline)
- Application Deadline: October 1
The tuition rates are:
Costs (per semester)
Part-Time (per semester)
Full-Time (per semester)
$3,475 plus $270 per unit
$5,481 plus $270 per unit
Non-residents and International students
$3,475 plus $666 per unit
$5,481 plus $666 per unit
The total estimated tuition costs for completing the MSBA degree are: $13,000/year (or $26,000 in total for CA Residents) or $17,500/year (or $35,000 in total for Non Resident or International Students)
We admit students on a rolling basis. It is encouraged to apply early.
Contact the Graduate Business Programs office at email@example.com or call (415) 817-4300.