Self-Help is a leading national community development financial institution (CDFI) headquartered in Durham, NC. Founded in 1980, Self-Help has provided over $7 billion in financing to 131,000 families, individuals and businesses underserved by traditional financial institutions. It helps drive economic development and strengthen communities by financing hundreds of homebuyers each year, as well as nonprofits, child care centers, community health facilities, public charter schools, and residential and commercial real estate projects. The Self-Help family of non-profit organizations includes North Carolina’s Self-Help Credit Union, Self-Help Federal Credit Union, Self-Help Ventures Fund and the Center for Responsible Lending, a national policy and advocacy organization addressing abusive lending practices. Through its credit union network, Self-Help serves over 129,000 people in North Carolina, California, Chicago and Florida and offers a full range of financial products and services. Learn more at www.self-help.org, www.self-helpfcu.org and www.responsiblelending.org.
Self-Help/CRL offers a 10 week summer internship program that is designed to give students valuable experience in a professional setting while broadening their knowledge of Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI’s). Along with each specific intern project, the intern will participate in a series of brownbag lunches to learn more about Self-Help and the Community Development industry as a whole. Interns will also be given the opportunity to network with one another and other Self-Helpers through a variety of planned events.
Research deposit raising opportunities for Self-Help from organizations and high net worth individuals across the state of California. Focus on research, messaging and outreach in various sectors across the state to promote our credit union products & services for institutions & organizations in the following sectors: Green, Faith, Education, Healthy Foods, Housing, Cooperatives, LGBTQ, Women, Immigrants, African Americans, GoLocal Bay Area.
- Complete research on organizations, institutions and foundations across the state that intersect with Self-Help’s mission as targets for deposit-raising. Research will include asset size, mission fit, history of past deposits & grants to similar organizations, board of directors/staff mapping, and other discreet focus areas which paint a picture of investment likelihood.
- Write memo on deposit-raising research that will be circulated internally to branch/area managers and other relevant staff in regions across CA.
- Support targeted messaging/communications/online outreach to different types of potential organizational depositors (faith, foundations, environmental/economic justice/immigrant justice NGOs, banks, anchor institutions). Produce original content for review by MarComms team.
- Support team efforts around deposit tracking with Salesforce and the UDB.
- Outreach/communications, research, data entry, writing.
- Interest in community development and impact-oriented finance.
• Excellent analytical/writing skills; experience in organizational outreach & partner development; knowledge of Bay Area networks & organizations.
• Proficient with Excel, Powerpoint, Word.
• Self-starter, able to take initiative and complete tasks with little supervision.
- Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
• Graphic design experience; marketing experience; fundraising experience; event planning.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter describing why you are interested in this internship and a resume to email@example.com with the internship title as the subject by February 26, 2019.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, gender, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.