Professor John Logan Quoted by The New York Times and Other Major News Organizations on Union Election at Amazon
Department Chair and Professor of Labor and Employment Studies John Logan discussed Amazon employee union votes in Alabama and New York.
After the union elections started in two states, Logan spoke to Reuters, AP News, The Washington Post, The New York Times, NPR, BBC, and CNN Business about how Amazon is learning from the previous elections and how the labor landscape has changed after the pandemic.
Professor Logan says it is phenomenal how union activists reached the point of the election. "It would be a monumental event if either of the unions [in New York] were to win. But even if they were to lose, if the results are close, I still think it will result in more union activity at Amazon warehouses across the country," Logan states.
- February 4, 2022, AP News, Amazon workers try new tactics to unionize in Alabama.
- February 4, 2022, NPR, Amazon warehouse workers in Alabama vote for second time in union effort.
- February 4, 2022, The Hill, Labor legislation failure looms over Amazon union vote.
- March 29, 2022, BBC, Amazon union election: Will this former worker make history?
- March 31, 2022, Reuters, Amazon union vote counts slated for Thursday; turnout dropped in Alabama.
- March 31, 2022, The Washington Post, Amazon union votes too close to call after first day of count.
- April 1, 2022, AP News, Amazon staff reject union in Alabama, lean toward it in NYC.
- April 8, 2022, The Washington Post, Amazon filing outlines plans to fight the New York union vote.
- April 8, 2022, The New York Times, Amazon says landmark Staten Island union vote should be thrown out.
- April 9, 2022, Reuters, Amazon objecting to union's victory in New York, alleging interference.
- April 23, 2022, The Hill, Amazon Labor Union guns for second win.
- April 24. 2022, AP News, Amazon union could face a tough road ahead after victory.
- April 25, 2022, CNN Business, A second Amazon union election begins in New York.
- April 25, 2022, Time100, He Came Out of Nowhere and Humbled Amazon. Is Chris Smalls the Future of Labor?
- April 26, 2022, NBC News, Can Amazon stop a union?
- May 2, 2022, CNN Business, Amazon workers vote against New York union drive led by grassroots organization behind last month's win.
- May 2, 2022, AP News, Amazon workers in NYC reject union in a reversal of fortune.
- May 3, 2022, Reuters, Amazon workers vote against unionizing second warehouse in setback for organized labor.
Visit the Labor and Employment department page to learn more about the program and faculty.