Professor John Logan Quoted by Multiple News Outlets on Union Campaigns at Starbucks
Department Chair and Professor of Labor and Employment Studies John Logan discussed Amazon employee union campaigns and union victory at Starbucks with various news outlets, including Reuters, CBS News, Fortune, San Francisco Examiner, Bloomberg TV, and MarketWatch.
Starbucks employees started to vote for a union at the first store in Seattle. "This is the first Seattle election — a number of Seattle stores have filed [for elections] — it has symbolic importance for that reason," Logan says. He also commented on the issue with special benefits for non-union employees, saying that it is not legally straightforward.
- February 24, 2022, Reuters, UPDATE 3-Starbucks union ballot count postponed for three more NY locations.
- February 28, 2022, Reuters, Workers at an Arizona Starbucks cafe win union drive.
- March 22, 2022, CBS News, Starbucks workers vote for a union at first store in Seattle.
- April 9, 2022, RNZ, Prof John Logan: Amazon and the US union movement.
- April 13, 2022, The Guardian, Wave of union victories suggests union-busting consultants may have lost their sway.
- April 15, 2022, Fortune, Is it legal for Starbucks to offer special benefits to non-union employees? It depends.
- April 15, 2022, CBS News, Undergraduates across the country are unionizing college workforces.
- April 23, 2022, MarketWatch, Unions’ push at Amazon, Apple and Starbucks could be ‘most significant moment in the American labor movement’ in decades.
- April 29, 2022, Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg Markets: Triple Take.
- May 13, 2022, San Francisco Examiner, Teens help lead union drive at Starbucks.
- May 17, 2022, AP News, Workers vote on forming Missouri’s only active library union.
Visit the Labor and Employment department page to learn more about the program and faculty.