As one of the top-ranked public universities, San Francisco State University is recognized worldwide for our investments in diversity, social responsibility, and visionary academics. We prepare our students to become productive, ethical, active citizens with a global perspective, inspiring them to lead, create and innovate.
The Lam Family College of Business at San Francisco State University has been a leading institution for quality business education in the Bay Area for over 50 years, with an emphasis on preparing students for professional success in a global economy.
Is the MBA for Biotech Professionals program right for me?
- I have several years of experience in the biotech industry
- I have earned a four-year bachelor's degree
- I'm ready to enhance my knowledge and skills for greater organizational responsibilities
- 32-month part-time program
- classes held two nights a week in South San Francisco, CA
- distinguished faculty teaching business courses
- guest speakers from biotech industry
- cohort class of diverse biotech industry professionals
- GMAT/GRE test may be waived for applicants with doctoral degrees (TOEFL is required for those who have earned their degree outside of the U.S.)
GMAT/GRE requirement may be waived with seven years or more of full-time professional work experience.
Our cohort structure facilitates the development of strong classroom relationships that blossom into long-lasting professional networks. With the same set of colleagues throughout the program, students develop a tight, supportive network within the Bay Area biotech industry. The cohort diversity provides an exciting mix of participants that creates the opportunity to develop a strong, positive learning community. Participants explore and develop individual potential, as well as learn to operate together throughout their courses. Cohort members stay in touch long past graduation, supporting one another as they progress in their careers.
Class Hours and Location
Classes are held Mondays and Thursdays, 6–8:45 p.m. in South San Francisco, California 94080.
The curriculum consists of 16 courses:
- eight basic business courses
- eight advanced business courses
Two courses are taken each semester during spring, summer and fall.
Participants may have a four-year bachelor's degree in any subject. Many are likely to have advanced master's or doctorate degrees in life-science related fields with three to seven years of professional work experience.
The Lam Family College of Business is honored to work with more than 120 tenure-track and adjunct faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching and innovation. As scholars and practitioners of their specific disciplines, our outstanding faculty provides participants with a relevant and challenging curriculum.
Biotech MBA Advisory Council
Our Biotech MBA Advisory Council, consisting of leading practitioners from industry and academia, meets once a semester to advise us about curriculum and outreach. Advisory Council members also participate as guest speakers in some of our classes as needed.
The admissions committee reviews an applicant's overall qualifications and takes the following requirements into consideration:
- completion of a degree equivalent to at least a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
- grade point average
- GMAT or GRE test (Applicants with a doctoral degree are not required to take the GMAT or GRE).
- statement of purpose
- two letters of recommendation
- foreign language test is required of all applicants who have earned their undergraduate degree from a country where the official language is not English. Any of the following tests taken within the past two years are accepted: TOEFL Internet Based Test minimum score of 88 (or 570 on PBT), or IELTS score of at least 7.0, or Pearson Test of English (PTE) minimum academic overall score of 65.
- open to all applicants except those who need an F-1 visa to study in the United States due to part-time format of the program
Fall 2020 Application Period
The online application, application fee, required documents and GMAT or GRE test results must be submitted for admissions to the program. We encourage early applications.
|Application Filing Period:|
Students and alumni of our MBA for Biotech Professionals program work for some of the top employers in the Bay Area, including: