Career Services Navigation
Message from the Director
Welcome to the College of Business. The goal of Career Services & Professional Development is to prepare and empower students by providing them with the necessary skills, tools and resources to offer the greatest advantage in today’s competitive job market. On these webpages, you will find a growing menu of career resources, job listings, and networking opportunities. Please refer back often for updates on program offerings. Feel free to contact me to discuss your career goals, job search, internships, and professional development. I look forward to hearing from you.Melanie Summers
Meet The Team
Director of Career Services & Professional Development
Melanie has extensive career development and program leadership experience. She served as director of career services at U.C. Berkeley’s Cal Alumni Association for 12 years, where she also ran the Student/Alumni Mentorship Program. Melanie is a proud SF State alumna with a B.A. in psychology, and graduate studies in communicative disorders. She oversees the CoB Fellows Program, employer relations, and the commercial real estate summer internship program.
Assistant Director of Career Services & Professional Development
Heidi recently relocated to the Bay Area from Portland, Oregon, where she worked at Portland State University, providing comprehensive career services to students and alumni. Prior to Portland, she was a career and employment specialist at Kingsborough Community College-City University of New York. She holds an MSW from Hunter College and earned her BA in English from Barnard College. Heidi will deliver career services to students and will provide support to the commercial real estate program, the CoB Fellows Programs, and employer relations.
The Fellows Program at the College of Business introduces students to a network of connections and support comprised of peers, staff, faculty, alumni, and Bay Area business professionals. The Program prepares students to become competitive in today’s job market. Visit the Fellows page.
Take advantage of this comprehensive, categorized listing of job search and career development online resources.
Spotlight on Career Success
The value of an SF State education when combined with strong engagement in College of Business programs and offerings has helped these alumni in their career paths. We proudly share their career success stories.
Post a job
The College of Business is interested in helping you successfully fill your available positions. Post a job or internship.
Partner with us
Partnering with the College of Business gives you access to some of the best and brightest talent. We offer on-campus interviews, pre-screening of candidates, speaking engagement opportunities and job postings. We work with you to ensure success. Contact Melanie Summers at email@example.com
Hospitality & Tourism Management
The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation HTM Global Student Career and Professional Development Program at San Francisco State prepares Hospitality and Tourism Management students for successful careers in the global hospitality and tourism industry. Students receive individualized career counseling in the Business building, room 137.
The goals of the program focus on:
- expanding the development of students’ professional skills, including written and oral communications, leadership training, business etiquette, cultural and global awareness
- strengthening students’ abilities to self-manage their careers through programs grounded in self-analysis, résumé development, practice interviewing, and job searching skills
- enhancing interactions between students and industry professionals through on campus career events and networking opportunities, on-campus interviews with employers, and contacts with international companies
- providing recruitment opportunities for hotel management companies, with a special emphasis in the placement of international students who return to their home countries
- broadening the availability of internship opportunities for domestic and international students
- support alumni after graduation with job placement and create professional networks for alumni
ContactLaura Shroder, Director
J. Willard & Alice S. Marriott Foundation HTM Global Student Career and Professional Development Program
College of Business
San Francisco State University
More career services at San Francisco State University
The SF State Career Services Office is an integral campus resource for career services, career development opportunities, major programs, and events.