Undergraduate Advising

Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center

Our slogan is We take care of business.

The Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center (LFCoBSSC) is dedicated to providing academic support and to helping students achieve success in their academic and life goals.


*** Attention Students! ***

Starting on February 27, 2023, the Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center (LFCoBSSC) is moving to the Administration building, room 203. Come see us in the new Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC).  Visit the Undergraduate Advising Center website to learn more.  
The UAC serves ALL undergraduate students.

For information on appointments or drop-in advising, please visit the UAC website. Please note our new phone number, 415-338-2101, and email address, uacadvising@sfsu.edu. Contact us if you have questions.

Drop-in Advising using Zoom

Have a quick question? Use Zoom for drop-in advising!

Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis.

Virtual/Zoom Drop-in Advising Hours

Day Time

Monday through Friday

  • 10:00 a.m. – noon
  • 2 p.m – 4:00 p.m

Schedule an Appointment

Schedule either an in-person visit or a virtual/Zoom visit. Drop-in appointments are not available at this time.

See Navigator Appointment Scheduler Quick Reference Guide on how to schedule your appointment.

Our Services

Students are encouraged to meet with academic advisers regularly at least one to two times per semester. Our academic advisers can help students to develop an educational plan.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program students must complete all the business core courses and seven concentration courses plus general education and university requirements:

Business Administration Major

Change of Major

Information on changing your major: How to Change your Major/Concentration flyer.

Degree and Program Requirements

The followings are advising tools available to use:

Students can apply for graduation in the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. The University has only one commencement, which is held in May. The academic departments may hold their own celebration activities coordinated by student organizations. Contact the academic department for more information about those activities.

In the Lam Family College of Business, one of the elements we focus on is the global perspective. The college encourages our students to study abroad for at least one semester or perhaps a year. We have more than 20 partner universities around the world. Please visit SF State Study Abroad office or website for more information. Applications are typically due in September or February.

The Metro Academy of Business is a two-year learning community offering eligible undergraduate students personalized in-class academic support, advising and tutoring.

Students participating in this program receive one-on-one support from a dedicated academic advisor. If you are enrolled in the Metro Academy of Business and need advising support, please contact Metro Academy Advisor Michelle Toney at mstoney@sfsu.edu.

Visit the Metro Academy website for more information.

The Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center offers graduation workshops that cover topics such as:

  • the application process
  • how to check your degree progress report
  • what to expect after you apply for graduation
  • graduation resources

Students who have 90+ units are automatically sent an invitation to RSVP for the Graduation Workshops. If you have completed close to 90+ units but did not receive an invitation, or are interested in attending, please email cobsuccess@sfsu.edu.

Where can I read the latest news and updates from the University and regarding COVID-19?

Visit SF State News and COVID-19 Information for news and updates.

I’m a first-year (freshman), where do I receive academic advising?

Beginning Fall 2020, all first-year freshman are assigned an Academic Advisor in the Undergraduate Advising Center. To find your advisor, please visit advising.sfsu.edu or email uacadvising@sfsu.edu

How do I meet with an advisor (For continuing and new transfer students)?

  • Schedule an appointment: Please use EAB Navigate to schedule an appointment. See information on this page about scheduling an appointment.
  • Virtual Drop-In Advising: If you need flexibility and have a quick question, we provide drop-in advising. Please see the information on this page about drop-in advising availability.

Where can I get an educational plan for my degree?

Please use EAB Navigate to schedule an appointment with an advisor for this. We strongly recommend that students meet with an advisor at least once every semester before their class registration period begins. 

Are there online tools that I may use to review my academic progress?

The Degree Progress Report is a tool that students and advisors use to track your graduation requirements. You can access this through your Student Center. 

How do I enroll in a course for the third time?

Students complete the Waiver of College Regulations Petition to add a course already repeated. Signatures from the instructor and Department Chair are also needed. Consult with an advisor for detailed instructions on the petition process.  

How can I change my major to Business Administration, or change concentrations within Business Administration?

Students can change their major through their Student Center. See Change of Major for step-by-step instructions.

To change your major to Economics, Hospitality and Tourism Management, or Labor and Employment Studies, please contact those Departments directly.

How do I withdraw from my classes?

Please consult with an advisor before withdrawing, and review the Course and Semester Withdrawal instructions.

How do I declare CR/NC grading option for a course?

You can declare the CR/NC grading option in your Student Center before the University deadline. You are allowed to declare the CR/NC grading option for a maximum of 6 units in the business core. Students may not declare CR/NC for BUS 300GW, BUS 682, BUS 690, or any of the major concentration requirements.

Where can I get the Lam Family College of Business Dean's signature?

Visit with an advisor in the LFCoB SSC to obtain the Dean's signature.

What happens when my transfer coursework is from an out-of-state university or non-ASSIST school?

Students who transfer from out-of-state universities or non-ASSIST schools need to get their courses evaluated by a LFCoB Course Coordinator. Please meet with an advisor to go over the course evauation process and to obtain the list of Course Coordinators.

How can I get contact information for faculty members?

See Faculty Profiles for contact information.

What if I have an academic issue or concern about a faculty member?

You may contact the appropriate Department Chair.

How do I apply to SF State with one of the Lam Family College of Business majors?  

Please contact Undergraduate Admissions at (415) 338-6486 for admissions inquiries.  

Did you receive my AP, CLEP, or any type of test scores?  

Students can review their Transfer Credit Report for test scores, or email Undergraduate Admissions at ugadmit@sfsu.edu to receive confirmation that they have been received and processed. 

How can I check if my transcripts have been processed and received?

Students can review their Transer Credit Report through their Student Center for transfer course work or email Undergraduate Admissions at ugadmit@sfsu.edu to get a confirmation if they have been received or processed. 

How and when do I appy for graduation?

Please consult with an advisor before applying to ensure you are ready to graduate, and to go over the application process. The graduation application is available through your Student Center to students who have earned at least 90 units. Please refer to the Registrar's Office website to review the graduation application steps and deadline. 

What happens after I apply for graduation?

After the application deadline, the Registrar's Office will conduct application evaluations. Please keep in mind that thousands of applications are processed manually every semester. Please refer to the Registrar's Office website for more Graduation Application FAQs or contact the Registrar directly for your questions at records@sfsu.edu. 

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are ordered after an application goes through final processing. This final processing happens after official semester grades are released. Please refer to the Registrar's Office website for more Diploma FAQs or contact the Registrar directly for your questions at records@sfsu.edu. 

The Lam Family College of Business offers more than 25 scholarship opportunities to their students. Visit Scholarships to view opportunities available.

We encourage you to pursue as many as possible. To search for and apply to scholarships you may be eligible for, visit the San Francisco State University Scholarship website.

Beta Gamma Sigma

Students who earn at least a 3.5 GPA or above beginning their junior year are invited to join the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society

Beta Alpha Psi, Beta Chi Chapter

Beta Alpha Psi (BAP) is an honor organization for financial information students and professionals. There are over 300 chapters on college and university campuses with over 300,000 members initiated since Beta Alpha Psi's formation in 1919.

SF State Student Success Resources

The Advising Hub compiles in one place the student success resources available to you as an SF State student, including financial aid, food and shelter, and community connections.

The Tutoring and Academic Support Center (TASC) is a university-wide tutoring center that supports the academic success of all SF State students by providing free peer-to-peer tutoring services. 

Contact Us






ADM 203

Office Hours

See the UAC website for up-to-date office hours: https://advising.sfsu.edu/


Student Advising Team Members