Minu Kumar is an Associate Professor of Marketing at San Francisco State University (SFSU). He received a B.S. in Pharmacy from the Government College of Pharmacy (Bangalore University, 1996), M.B.A. (Concentration in Pharmaceutical Marketing, 2002) and a Ph.D in marketing (minor: pharmaceutical marketing, 2008) from the University of Mississippi. His primary scholarly interest lies in the area of New Product Development (NPD). Some notable topics of interest include but are not limited to, product design, aesthetics, knowledge management, acquisition and in-licensing innovation, DTCA (Direct to Consumer Advertising) and drug safety, among others and research methodology using multivariate statistical techniques such as structural equation modeling and multilevel modeling. One healthcare related research interest that has piqued his interest in recent times is in the risk assessment of currently marketed prescription only lifestyle drugs.
Professor Kumar has published in journals such as the Journal of Product Innovation Management, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Journal of Business Research among others. He is also an ad hoc reviewer for journals such as the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Ethics and serves on the Editorial Review Board of Journal of Product Innovation Management. He has won several awards such as the Best Overall Conference Paper award at the Summer AMA conference (2011) and the University President’s Award for Research. He has also worked for or consulted with firms such as Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals (Now Daiichi Sankyo), Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals, Schering Plough Pharmaceuticals (Now Merck), Medtronic, Glaxo Smithkline, among others on sales and marketing projects.
Kumar Minu and Charles H. Noble (2016) "Beyond form and function: why do consumers value product design?" Journal of Business Research, 69(2), 613-620. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.05.017
- This project was funded by Marketing Science Institute through their competitive grants
- An earlier version of this paper won the prestigious Overall Best Paper award and Best Paper in the Track award at the 2010 Summer AMA conference.
- Luchs Michael and Minu Kumar (2015) "Yes, but this one looks better/works better: When might consumers choose superior sustainability despite a trade-off with other valued product attributes?" Accepted and forthcoming at the Journal of Business Ethics. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-015-2695-0
- Kumar Minu (2015) “Aesthetic principles of product form and cognitive appraisals: Predicting emotional responses to beauty” in The Psychology of Design: Creating Consumer Desire, Rajeev Batra and Colleen Seifert eds. London; Taylor and Francis.
- Kumar Minu, Janell Townsend and Douglas W. Vorhies (2015) “Enhancing relationships with brands using product design"Journal of Product Innovation Management. 32(5), 716-730. DOI: 10.1111/jpim.12245
- Kumar, Minu and Nitika Garg, (2010) "Aesthetic principles and cognitive emotion appraisals: How much of the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder?" Journal of Consumer Psychology, Volume 20 (Issue 4), 485-494. This article was listed as one of the most cited articles for the journal for 2010.
- Noble Charles H. and Minu Kumar (2010) "Exploring the appeal of product design: A grounded, value-based model of key design elements and relationships," Journal of Product Innovation Management. 27:640–657.
- Noble, Charles H. and Minu Kumar (2008) “Using product design to create deeper consumer connections,” Business Horizons, 51 (September), 441-450. This article is reprinted by Harvard Business School Publishing as a Case.
- B.S. in Pharmacy (1996), Government College of Pharmacy, Bangalore, India
- M.B.A. in Pharmaceutical Marketing Management (2002), University of Mississippi
- Ph.D. in Marketing (2008), University of Mississippi
- Product Design and Development
- Pharmaceutical Marketing
- Organizational Information Processing
- Innovation Research
- Conference Co Chair (With Barry Bayus) for the 2013 PDMA Annual Research Forum
- SFSU President's Award for Research (Fall 2012)
- AMA Summer Conference 2011 Track Co-Chair (New Product Development and Entreprenuership Track)
- Overall Best Conference Paper (AMA summer educators conference 2010)
- Best paper in the track AMA summer educators conference 2010
- 2006 AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium Nominee (University of Mississippi)
- 2006 MSI competitive research grant awardee
- 2005 University of Mississippi Summer research Grant awardee
- 2005 SMA Doctoral Consortium Nominee (University of Mississippi)
- Product Development Management Association
- American Marketing Association
- Academy of Marketing Science
- Society of Marketing Advances
- Karnataka State Pharmacy Council
- Design Management Institute
- Industrial Design Society of America
- Pharmaceutical Market Research Group