June 24-Aug 9 2019
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity (formerly Rising Sun Energy Center) is a premier workforce development and community resilience non-profit serving the Bay Area and San Joaquin County. We offer two programs, Climate Careers and Opportunity Build, that give youth and adults the training and experience they need to access sustainable career pathways and to maximize their potential. For more information about Rising Sun, please visit www.risingsunopp.org
The Climate Careers program was started by a small group of high schoolers as a way to take direct environmental action in their community. In 2019, over 150 youth participants will have the opportunity to build their resume and professional skillset through work-based learning as Energy Specialists and Leaders in Field Training. Energy Specialist participants will:
• Get PAID to participate in weekly Professional Development workshops to help you with career skills – resumes, interview skills, networking, and more!
• Get PAID to deliver the Green House Call service, gaining knowledge and work experience in the sustainability field that looks great on your resume
• Leave the program with a professional portfolio that will help you get your next job
• Gain post-summer access to Climate Careers alumni events
The Climate Careers Program (Energy Specialist) is for young people ages 15-22 from low income households and/or other disadvantaging circumstances (see full qualifying list on the online program application at risingsunopp.org/youth-participant-application/). The workbased learning portion of the program is comprised by fulfilling the duties of the Energy Specialist position, outlined below.
- Deliver no-cost Green House Calls
- Work with a partner to visit 3-5 homes in your community per day (by appointment!) to help residents save water and energy
- Carry out a basic energy and water use assessment and replace inefficient measures with energy- and water-saving devices
- Learn the ins and outs of home energy efficiency and how small changes in a home can help save money on utility bills and save the environment
- Participate in weekly professional development workshops
- Assist your managers as needed in the tasks needed to run a Climate Careers office, including, but not limited to: scheduling appointments by phone, daily tracking of materials, inventory, and keeping the office neat and tidy
Energy Specialist Requirements
• Able to participate in the full 7-week program (June 24 – August 9, 2019)
• Able to independently get to and from the site location each day
• Able to maintain a professional appearance and attitude, including adhering to the dress code (Rising Sun provides uniform polo shirts)
• An effective communicator with strong presentation skills or a desire to develop these skills
Energy Specialist *Driver* Requirements
If you meet the above requirements for the Energy Specialist, but also:
• Are 18-22 years old with everyday use of a car, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance, and
• Can pass a Motor Vehicle record check for safe driving, Then you are qualified to be an Energy Specialist Driver (ESD). ESDs do the same work as Energy Specialists but get paid more to drive themselves and their partners to and from local appointments using their own car.
Go to our website to apply online! risingsunopp.org/youth-participant-application/