The 1649 Accountant Trainee Program, also known as 1649 Accountant Internship Program, is a truly an amazing opportunity for talented individuals who are self-motivated, collaborative, eager to learn and have a desire to develop their accounting skills. This 18-month program is designed for you to become a skilled government accountant with the ability to promote into professional-level accounting positions. During the program, you will expand your formal education, receive hands-on experience and get mentored by highly skilled government accountants. You will also develop strong analytical and communication skills and become experienced in using technology and financial information systems. Upon completion of this program, successful graduates will be promoted into the Permanent Civil Service 1652 Accountant II classification.
Two 9-month rotations, generally at two different departments, both large and small.
Who We Are: The City and County of San Francisco (CCSF) has over 50 Departments with approximately 35,000 employees citywide. Approximately 280 employees are currently in the professional accounting series: 1649 Accountant Intern, 1652 Accountant II, 1654 Accountant III, 1657 Accountant IV, and beyond, in upper management series. 95% of these accountants have successfully completed the 1649 program! As the demand for greater transparency and accountability in the spending and allocation of government dollars continues to grow, the need has also grown for accounting professionals with specific expertise in government financial management.
• Get mentored by higher-level, experienced accountants throughout the City departments.
• Two 9-month rotations, generally at two different departments, both large and small.
• Attend various training workshops to build technical competencies and develop an understanding of the City’s purchasing and accounting procedures.
• Receive periodic performance assessments to measure competencies throughout the program
• Rotational and final placements are determined by the 1649 Program Steering Committee based on competencies, needs and interests.
• Starting 1649 Accountant Trainee (Intern) Salary is $65,312.00. The City also offers flexible benefit plans with pretax elections, which include: medical, dental, and vision insurance; the City’s defined benefit retirement plan; deferred compensation plan; long-term disability insurance; life insurance; and a generous paid time off package.
- Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university WITH eighteen (18) semester units or twenty-four (24) quarter units of coursework in Accounting at the time of appointment.
- Only classes that are 3 units or more will be counted towards coursework requirement.
- One or two-unit accounting electives will NOT be considered qualifying coursework, and neither will any related coursework (e.g. finance, economics, math, QuickBooks/Excel courses)
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred to hiring.
• Professional accounting work experience which includes analysis or problem-solving. Experience should include: Working with an automated financial system (preferably a government system), performing difficult and responsible accounting, reporting work, as well as preparing financial records and reports.
• Proficient Skills using various computer software programs including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
• Experience establishing, promoting and maintaining professional, cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Experience speaking to a variety of audiences regarding financial information and related complex matters
To apply, visit the City & County of San Francisco’s Employment website at: https://www.jobapscloud.com/SF/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=PEX&R2=1649&R3=095402