San Francisco State University's 2019 Mobile Appathon contest is sponsored by PG&E and the Lam Family College of Business
Participants may submit a wide variety of innovative app ideas and prototypes to address a practical problem of personal, business, environmental, civic or social significance. All SF State students are invited to join the challenge!
Your entry is evaluated by a panel of industry experts. Both individual and team entries (up to 4 students per team) are allowed. Winners will be invited to attend the IMSA Graduation Celebration on Tuesday, May 28, 2019. A representative from PG&E will present the award certificate and cash prize in a gift card to the winners during the event.
The appathon contest is co-sponsored by PG&E and the Lam Family College of Business.
Specification and Evaluation of Entries
The contest challenge is about exploring innovative ideas for shaping tomorrow’s business, environmental, civic, and social landscape through mobile technology. The winning idea should be realistic within the technology and economic landscape over the next one to three years. You may provide a business analysis to accompany the core app idea and prototype you submit. In addition, you are encouraged to integrate design thinking methods as part of the innovation process.
Your presentation should include the following:
A brief with the following subsections:
Description of the Idea
- Problem Statement: what problems are you solving, why is it important?
- Target Audience: who is your target audience (or persona)?
- Key Features/Services: what is your key solution to the problem?
- Technology Platform: explain which platform is used and why the technology platform is feasible for implementing your mobile solution.
- Data Structure Design: what kind of data structure would you need for implementing your mobile app? Where does the data come from? How is it accessed?
- Wireframe Design: low fidelity and high fidelity prototype or mockup of key screens of your mobile app, please include screenshots or links.
- Core Functionality Demo: you are required to develop and implement the core features of your app, i.e., at least part of your app should be functional and working. Provide links to demonstrate the part of your application that is up and running, include the username and password if login is required.
- Business Model and Value Proposition: What is your business model? How can you create value for your partners and customers?
- Cost and Benefits Analysis: how can you be financially viable from developing this mobile application?
- YouTube Video (Optional): a quality video could be a powerful complement to your presentation.
Our reviewers will evaluate submissions based on multiple criteria, approximately equally weighted, and roughly summarized as:
- Ideation Creativity
- User Experience Design Excellence
- Technical Feasibility / Core Functionality Implementation Effectiveness
- Business Viability
Prizes and Awards
All awards are given out at the IMSA Graduation Celebration. See Key Dates and Deadlines.
- Overall Winner: $400 Amazon Gift Card and “First Prize” Winner Award
- Innovation Creativity Award: for the team that proposes the most innovative / disruptive business idea or business model
- UX Design Excellence Award: for the team that prototypes the best user experience through interface design
- Technical Implementation Excellence Award: for the team that delivers the most impressive implementation of the core functionality through cutting edge technology
Dates and Deadlines
- Registration and PowerPoint Submission Deadine: Wednesday, May 15, 11:59 p.m. PST
- Appathon team presentation: Monday, May 20, SF State Downtown Campus, room 597, 6–9 p.m.; judges will be present at the presentation
- Appathon Challenge winner announcement (by email): Wednesday, May 22.
- Award presentation: Tuesday, May 28, 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.; IMSA Graduation Celebration: held at the Argonaut Hotel, 495 Jefferson Street, San Francisco
Submit Your Entry
Best of luck, and we look forward to seeing your Appathon ideas!
Of Related Interest