The Sustainable Business concentration provides students with skills to address the social and environmental dimensions of conducting business in a global market.
The program emphasizes four aspects of sustainable business that create stakeholder value and improve a firm's long-term market impact:
- Providing effective values-based leadership of green teams and responsible organizations
- Identifying and pursuing strategic market opportunities created by environment and social challenges
- Using innovative solutions-based analytical frameworks and tools to address stakeholder needs
- Managing risk (regulatory, reputation, climate, market) and tracking/reporting sustainability metrics
Students in the program learn how to articulate the business case for sustainability; conceptualize innovative products and services; lead internal and external coalitions; drive organizational change; and implement metrics to measure sustainability progress and incorporate accountability for responsible decision-making.
In addition to the core MBA requirements, students specializing in Sustainable Business complete the following three required courses plus two electives approved by a sustainable business concentration adviser (suggestions listed below).
- MGMT 856: Managing the Sustainable Business - Skills and perspectives required to manage and operate a sustainable business. Focus on the tools necessary to perform each business function taking environmental and social implications into account. **This class not currently being offered. Plus contact faculty advisor for alternative course.
- BUS 857: Business Management, Ecology and Environmental Leadership - Impact of business organizations on the natural environment. Innovative and effctive approaches to environmental issues.
- MGMT 858: Innovation for Sustainability - Business innovation to meet society's emerging needs. Application of design thinking and innovation to the challenges of creating a more sustainable society, and the emerging opportunities for business to become an innovative force in addressing social and environmental problems.
- MGMT 831: Overview of the Entrepreneurial Process
- MGMT 850: Ethics and Compliance
- MGMT 855: Seminar in Emerging Issues in Management (sustainability-related topics)
- MGMT 857: Leadership in Action
- DS 855: Supply Chain Management
- IBUS 841 Creativity for Managers: A Global Perspective
- IBUS/BUS 859: International Business Negotiating
- BUS 899: Independent Study (applied sustainable business project)
- Geoff Desa
- Denise Kleinrichert
- Tom Thomas
Whether pursuing the sustainable business concentration now, or equipped already with this critical distinction on their résumé, our alumni are helping to transform business. We are proud to share our alumni stories.