The primary goal of Dr. Jang's research is to examine fundamental mechanisms of marketing phenomena and develop quantitative models applicable to general situations. Specifically, he is interested in consumers’ search behavior, choice decisions, and firms’ targeting strategies in various industries.
1) Research Topics
- Consumer search behavior and choice decision
- Keyword search advertising
- Financial services marketing
- Bayesian estimation and text mining analysis methods
Kim, Alex Jiyoung, Sungha Jang, Hyun S. Shin (2019, forthcoming), “How Should Retail Advertisers Manage Multiple Keywords in Paid Search Advertising?” Journal of Business Research.
Son, Junghwa, Ji Hye Kang, Sungha Jang (2019), “The Effects of Out-of-Stock, Return, and Cancellation Amounts on Order Amounts of an Online Retailer,” Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 51 November, 421-427.
Song, Chanho, Sungha Jang, Jennifer Wiggins, and Ed Nowlin (2019), “Does Haste Always Make Waste? Service quantity, Service quality, and Incentives in Speed-intensive Service Firms,” Service Business, 13 (2), 289-304.
Zhen, Xueping, Gangshu (George) Cai, Reo Song, and Sungha Jang (2019), “The Effects of Herding and Word of Mouth in a Two-Period Advertising Signaling Model,” European Journal of Operational Research, 275 (1), 361-373.
Kim, Jungkeun, Yuanyuan (Gina) Cui, Sungha Jang, Mark T. Spence, Jongwon Park (2019), “Response to Thoemmes and Lemmer (2019) regarding Mediation Analysis Revisited,” Australasian Marketing Journal, 27 (2), 126-128.
Jang, Sungha, Jinsoo Kim, Reo Song, and Ho Kim (2018), “Advertising Strategy and Its Effectiveness on Consumer Online Search in a Defaming Product-Harm Crisis,” Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 30 (3), 705-724.
- Winner of Outstanding Paper in the 2019 Emerald Literati Awards
Kim, Jungkeun, Euejung Hwang, Megan Phillips, Sungha Jang, Jae-Eun Kim, Mark T. Spence, and Jongwon Park (2018), “Mediation Analysis Revisited: Practical Suggestions for Addressing Common Deficiencies,” Australasian Marketing Journal, 26 (1), 59-64.
Jang, Sungha, Tian Liu, Ji Hye Kang, and Huichen Yang (2018), “Understanding Important Hotel Attributes from the Consumer Perspective over Time,” Australasian Marketing Journal, 26 (1), 23-30.
Kang, Ji Hye, Su Yeon Kim, Sungha Jang, and Ae-Ran Koh (2018), “Can College Students’ Global Competence Be Enhanced in the Classroom? The Impact of Cross- and Inter-Cultural Online Projects,” Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 55 (6), 683-693.
Song, Reo, Ho Kim, Gene Lee, and Sungha Jang (2017), “Does Deceptive Marketing Pay? The Evolution of Consumer Sentiment Surrounding a Pseudo-Product-Harm Crisis,” Journal of Business Ethics, Published online: 26 October 2017, 1-19.
Jang, Sungha, Ashutosh Prasad, and Brian T. Ratchford (2017), “Consumer Search of Multiple Information Sources and Its Impact on Consumer Price Satisfaction,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 40 (November), 24–40.
Jang, Sungha, Ji Hye Kang, and Junghwa Son (2017), “Promotion Effectiveness of Coupons and Reward Points by Fashion Product Categories at an Online Retailer,” Journal of Channel and Retailing, 22 (3), 1–17.
Jang, Sungha, Ashutosh Prasad, and Brian T. Ratchford (2016), “Consumer Spending Patterns Across Firms and Categories: Application to the Size and Share of Wallet,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33 (1), 123–139.
Song, Reo, Sungha Jang, and Gangshu (George) Cai (2016), “Does Advertising Indicate Product Quality? Evidence From Prelaunch and Postlaunch Advertising in the Movie Industry,” Marketing Letters, 27 (4), 791–804.
Jang, Sungha, Ashutosh Prasad, and Brian T. Ratchford (2012), “How Consumers Use Product Reviews in the Purchase Decision Process,” Marketing Letters, 23 (3), 825–838.
3) Book Chapters
- Kang, Ji Hye, Sowon Hahn, Sungha Jang, and Junghwa Son (2017). “South Korea.” In Jaya Halepete and Shubhapriya Bennur (Eds.), Retailing in Emerging Markets (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Fairchild Books.
- Jang, Sungha (2017). “How to Become a Business Analytics Expert” (in Korean). In Jaejun Jang, Onkyung Hwang, and Wonkyu Hwang (Eds.), The Fourth Industrial Revolution: What We Should Prepare. Seoul, Korea: Hanbit Biz.
- Winner of Outstanding Paper in the 2019 Emerald Literati Awards, 2019
- CBA Summer Grant (1/9th of annual salary), College of Business Administration, Kansas State University, 2016
- CBA Summer Grant ($7,500), College of Business Administration, Kansas State University, 2015
- Developing Scholar Award, College of Business Administration, Kansas State University, December 2013
- Doctoral Student Teaching Excellence Award, Naveen Jindal School of Management, University of Texas at Dallas, 2011
- Graduate Fellowship, University of Texas at Dallas, 2005–2011
- AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Texas Christian University, 2010
- Annual University of Houston Doctoral Symposium Presenter, 2009
- INFORMS Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of British Columbia, 2008
- Annual University of Houston Doctoral Symposium Fellow, 2008
- Mirae Credit Information (allied with Experian UK) November 2000–July 2005
– Developed credit risk management systems for financial institutions in South Korea
– Built long-term relationships with the clients
– Major clients: Woori Bank, LG Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd., Shinhan Card Co., Ltd., Kookmin Bank
- Naver.com (simulation study on the four different types of payment methods of keyword search advertisement, the research team was awarded $25,000, 2019)
- Naver.com (provided the efficient keyword search advertisement strategy based on empirical analysis, the research team was awarded $25,000, 2019)
- Naver.com (compared the three keyword search advertisment auction mechanisms for the largest portal website in Korea, the research team was awarded $18,000, 2018)
- Centralized Supply Chain Services (advising on price forecasting models and customer management, 2016)
- Purple Wave (developed prediction models, 2016–2017)
- Boys and Girls Club of Manhattan (provided marketing research consulting in support of teaching, 2015)
- Greater Manhattan Community Foundation (provided marketing research consulting in support of teaching, 2014)
- McCANN Worldgroup Korea (proposed an advertising effectiveness analysis, 2014)
- H&R Block (provided preliminary analysis for profit models, 2013)
Merilee is an experienced Marketing and Strategy professional. After honing her corporate strategy skills at Bain & Company, she spent nearly a decade at PepsiCo managing several Quaker brands & developing the Gatorade Innovation strategy and pipeline. Merilee has spent recent years consulting developing optimal brand strategies & innovation platforms to drive clients' sustainable growth.
Merilee holds an MBA from the University of Chicago & a BS in Finance and Retail Management from Santa Clara University.
Neil Cohen has more than 35 years of experience creating, building and managing brands from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, including SEGA, Hilton, Arby’s and McDonalds.
- B.S. (1980), University of Florida
- M.A. (1983), University of Southern California
- Brand Strategy
Subodh Bhat is a professor of marketing teaching mainly marketing strategy and brand management to M.B.A. students. He has also been a visiting scholar at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
His research interests include brands and branding, advertising, entrepreneurship, and high tech marketing. He has published several articles in journals such as the Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Consumer Marketing, and the Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice.
- Ph.D. in Marketing with an emphasis in Statistics (1992), University of Georgia
- Brand Management
- Controversial Advertising
- Advertising Effects
- Marketing Strategy
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Advertising (2009 - 2016)
Veronika Papyrina earned her Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario. Her research interests focus on marketing communications, crisis management and image restoration strategies. She is on the Editorial Revision Board of the Journal of Promotion Management. Her work has appeared in the Journal of Consumer Behavior, Journal of Marketing Communications, Journal of Promotion Management, and the Journal of International Marketing.
- Ph.D. in Business Administration with an area of specialization in Marketing, R. Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario