Hospitality and Tourism Management
Ryan left the School of Hotel and Tourism Management at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) where he has been for the last 6 years. While at PolyU he taught seven different subjects at the Bachelor or Higher Diploma Level and one marketing subject at the Master Level over his time there. In addition, he serves or served in various administrative roles such as Restaurant Manager, academic advisor, student club advisor, and health and safety board member. Ryan obtained a Doctorate in Hotel and Tourism Management at PolyU with his thesis centered on hotel-restaurant co-branding. He holds a Master of Science in Hospitality Management at the University of Houston with his thesis on restaurant customers dining decision making behavior; in addition, he taught as a Graduate Assistant Teaching Fellow in the kitchen of the student training restaurant. He has an undergraduate Bachelor of Science Degree in Hospitality Administration and a minor in Business Administration from Boston University. In addition, he had the opportunity to complete the Certified Hospitality Educator, Certified Hotel Administrator (the highest certification offered), and Certified in Hotel Industry Analytics certificates offered by The American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute in addition to a Food Safety Certificate by ServSafe International. Ryan has over fifteen years, in three countries, work experience around food and beverage with a diverse background in education, restaurants (quick service to fine dining), private clubs, ski resorts, and catering in hotel banquets. Ryan has worked on several industry consultancy projects over the years in different hospitality segments. In addition, he has been invited to give presentations at industry conferences and other institutions.
- B.A. in Child Development (2005), San Francisco State University
- B.B.A. with an emphasis in Marketing and Hospitality Retail Management (2009), Eastern New Mexico University
- M.S. in Hospitality and Retail Management (2010), Texas Tech University
- Ph.D. in Hospitality Administration (2013), Texas Tech University
- College of Human Sciences Outstanding Graduate Student, Texas Tech University. (November 10, 2012).
- Best Practical Implications Paper, 18th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism. (January 2, 2013).
Colin Johnson, Ph.D., holds a doctorate in economic and social sciences from Fribourg University, Switzerland. He also has an M.B.A. from Manchester Business School and a B.A. from the Open University in the UK.
He has worked in many sectors of the hospitality industry including contract catering, airline catering, two, four and five star hotels, private members clubs, retail restaurants and was assistant catering manager at Manchester United Football Club.
He has held faculty and management positions in seven colleges and Universities in the UK, Switzerland and the US. He was the dean at the Domino Carlton Tivoli Hotel Management School in Lucerne, Switzerland and dean and then founding director of research at the Lausanne Institute for Hospitality Research at the ecole hoteliere de Lausanne.
Previous to joining San Francisco State University he served as professor and chair at San Jose State University. He has published in a number of leading hospitality and tourism journals including The Annals of Tourism Research, The Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Quarterly, and The International Journal of Hospitality Management and Managing Service Quality. He is on three editorial boards.
His research interests include services internationalization, small and medium size enterprises and social entrepreneurship.
- B.A., Open University, United Kingdom
- M.B.A., Manchester Business School, United Kingdom
- Ph.D. (2002), Fribourg University, Switzerland
- Ph.D. (2003), Purdue University
Mehmet Ergul holds a Ph.D. in hospitality administration from the College of Human Sciences at Texas Tech University.
Mehmet Ergul joined the SF State faculty in 2006. He is currently teaching Restaurant and Catering Management, Introduction to Hospitality Management, Historical and Contemporary Aspects of Food, Beverage and Culture in America and The Business of International Tourism.
- Ph.D. in Hospitality Administration, Texas Tech University
- B.S. (1995), Bilkent University Ankara, Turkey
- Healthy Eating
- New Food Product Development
- Consumer Behavior
- Food Safety
- I-Chrie Member
- San Francisco Professional Food Society - SFPFS Member