College of Business Student Success Center FAQs

Where is the Student Success Center and what are the office hours?

The Student Success Center is located in Business Building Room 112. We are open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon; 1:00 to 4:30 p.m.

Can I make an appointment to see an advisor?

The Student Success Center doesn’t take appointments the first two weeks of the semester. You can make an appointment after two weeks by going in person or calling us at 415-405-3531.

How can I change my major into business or change concentrations within Business?

Students who have less than 96 units can change their major through their Student Center Portal. Students who have more than 96 units will need to do a paper form request. You can come into the Student Success Center for more information.

Where can I get an educational plan for my degree?

The Student Success Center can help students create an educational Plan. However, we strongly encourage students to come in and meet with an academic advisor at least twice every semester. This will keep students on track.

Where can I get the College of Business Dean’s Signature?

Students can come to the Student Success Center and the academic advisors can sign on behalf of the Dean.

How can I get the contact information of faculty members?

You can find the faculty contact information on the COB website: or find the list on the bulletin board across from the Student Success Center.

What happens when my transfer coursework is from an out of state university/non-ASSIST schools?

Students who transfer from out of state universities or non-ASSIST schools will need to get their courses evaluated by a College of Business Course Coordinator. Please come into the Student Success Center to obtain the list of Course Coordinators and a Course Substitution Form (a.k.a. pink form). Once the Course Substitution Form is approved by our faculty, it will allow you to substitute the course(s) for our degree requirements. The academic advisors can also sign on behalf of the course coordinators with email confirmation for the approval.

How do I enroll in a course for the 3rd time?

Students will need to fill out a Waiver of College Regulations Petition and get the proper signatures from the Instructor, Department Chair, and Dean at the beginning of the semester. Please come to the Student Success Center to obtain the petition and more detailed information.

How do I withdraw from my classes?

During the first three weeks of instruction, withdrawing from courses is permitted without restriction or academic penalty. This action is commonly referred to as ‘dropping a class.

From the beginning of the fourth week through the twelfth week of instruction

Withdrawal from a course will be permissible, for serious and compelling reasons, by consulting the faculty member teaching the course. The student must complete a “Petition for Withdrawal from Course or University” and submit the petition to the instructor for a decision. The student will receive a 'W’ grade (Withdrawal) if the withdrawal is approved. The student’s name will appear on the grade report with a pre-assigned 'W,’ and the student’s permanent record will show a 'W’ grade. However, such grades will not be used to compute a student’s GPA.

After the twelfth week

Withdrawal from a course is permissible, only for serious and compelling reasons with documentation, by consulting the instructor and obtaining the approval of the Instructor, Department Chair, and Dean. Students must submit the petition and supporting documents (including unofficial transcripts) to the instructor. Once you have obtained signatures from the Instructor and Chair, you will need to submit it into the Student Success Center. The Petition Committee will review the request for decision. Students will be notified by email once a decision is made.

How do I declare CR/NC grading option for the course?

You can declare CR/NC grading option on your Student Center Portal before the deadline. You are only allowed to declare CR/NC grading option for up to 6 units in the business core courses with the exception of BUS 300GW, BUS 682 and BUS 690. However, it is not allowed in your 7 courses in the concentration area. Please check in with an academic adviser in the Student Success Center before making the decision.

What if I have an academic issue or concern about a faculty member?

You can contact the appropriate Department Chair.

I want to know how to apply to the College of Business?

Please check with the Undergraduate Admission at 415 338-6486 for admission inquiry.

Did you receive my SAT scores or any type of test scores?

 Please check with the Undergraduate Admission at 415 338-6486 for your test scores.

Has the University received my transcripts yet?

Please check with the Undergraduate Admission at 415 338-6486 for information.