Information for students admitted to the Spring 2019 Semester
(updated January 3, 2019)
Welcome MBA, MSA and MSBA students!
There are a few to-dos before you begin the semester on Monday, January 28, 2019:
- Accept your admissions offer
- Submit official transcripts
- Submit proof of immunization
- Submit a business course waiver request (this is only applicable for MBA and MSA students)
- Submit your financial aid application
- Plan course selection for your first semester
- Register for Spring 2019 classes
- RSVP to attend the required College of Business orientation on January 24th
Get your SF State Student ID after you enroll in Spring 2019 classes
Full details follow:
1. Accept your admissions offer
All admitted students should indicate their decision on accepting their admissions offer via our SF State Gateway/MySFSU link within two weeks from their admissions date. A response is required in order to start the matriculation process of registering for classes and to sign up for an SF State email account.
2. Submit Official Transcripts
The Division of Graduate Studies at San Francisco State University requires all applicants to submit official academic documents from all higher education institutions attended. Submit one official sealed copy from ALL colleges, universities, and community colleges attended. Only original copies are accepted. Visit the University's Official Transcript Requirement page for details. Please note: If you previously attended SF State, you do not need to submit an SF State transcript.
Our University also accepts electronic transcripts from domestic universities. You may request your official transcript to be emailed directly from your College or University to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International transcripts must include original transcripts plus a certified English Translation. If official transcripts do not show the degree conferred, then a copy of the diploma with a certified English Translation is also required. International students should also review the information about specific Admission criteria by Country.
Where to submit your official transcripts:
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, ADM 250
San Francisco, CA 94132
3. Submit proof of immunization prior to class registration
You must show proof that you have received all required immunizations. Please refer to the SF State Immunization Requirements page.
4. MBA and MS in Accountancy students may submit a business course waiver request
Students who have completed Business courses within the past seven (7) years with at least a B- or better grade, could be eligible to waive the equivalent SF State 700-level course. You may submit a waiver request any time before January 18, 2019, however we encourage you to submit the waiver form and required supporting documents as soon as possible to better plan your courses. You will receive an email from our office with the decision from our faculty within two to three weeks of receipt of your request.
Students must complete the following steps:
Step 2) Submit a course syllabus or detailed course outline for each of the business courses you have taken in the past seven years at a college or university. International Students will need to submit fully translated copies of syllabi or course outlines.
Step 3) Submit a photocopy of the transcripts from the university where you completed the business courses and circle the courses to be reviewed.
Step 4) Email the waiver form, copy of transcripts and course syllabi to: Ms. Armaan Moattari, Assistant Director of Admissions, at email@example.com.
Please note: If you have received a bachelor of science degree in business administration from an AACSB-accredited school in the past seven years with a GPA of 3.0 or better in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units of coursework, you do not need to submit the form or any documents. You will automatically receive an approved waiver letter from our office by email.
5. Submit your Financial Aid application (U.S. citizens and residents)
Graduate business students who are considering Financial Aid, may refer to the SF State Financial Aid webpage.
Please note the FAFSA deadline for the State of California is March 1. If you miss the deadline, you may still file the FAFSA application but award decision may be delayed. If you have any question about Financial Aid, please contact our Financial Aid office directly on the Holloway Campus at 1.415.338.7000 and ask for Mr. Jimmie Wilder or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Plan course selection for your first semester
To plan your courses for the Spring semester:
- MBA students may refer to our MBA website for detailed information about course requirements and the MBA course requirement chart (pdf).
- MS in Accountany students can refer to our MSA website and the MSA course requirement chart for students with a bachelor's degree in Accounting (pdf) or the MSA course requirement chart for students without an Accounting degree (pdf) located on our MSA website.
- MS in Business Analytics students may refer to our MSBA website and the MSBA course listing page.
The Spring class schedule is available on the SF State Class Schedule page.
7. Register for classes
Early course registration period will begin in December 2018 and will continue into January 2019. New incoming students may register any time during their designated registration period. Please refer to your student information on the SF State Gateway/MySFSU page to view your assigned start date to register for courses. Tuition payment is required immediately after students register for classes.
- Early course registration period: December 8, 2018 - January 11, 2019. CLOSED. Register for 9 units during this time, plus up to 4 units wait listed. Tuition payment deadline during this early registration period is January 14th at 4 pm.
- Open course registration period: January 19 - 27, 2019, register for up to 15 units during this time. Students should pay tuition within 24 hours of adding any additional courses during this open registrarion period.
Students admitted as Conditional are required to take the BUS 714 Business Writing course:
New students who are admitted conditionally (based on the writing score on the GMAT or GRE) are required to take the BUS 714 Elements of Business Writing class in their first semester at SF State. If you are "Conditionally" admitted and required to take this course, it will be stated on your admission letter as well as on your SF State Gateway student center. This 3-unit course is offered through SF State's College of Extended Learning.
Class Schedule & Registration for BUS 714
The BUS 714 course will be listed on the online class schedule and will be open for registration beginning January 3, 2019. For the Spring 2019 semester, there will two sections of the course taught at the Downtown Campus. Class days and times will be posted soon. The class is offered through the College of Extended Learning and carries its own fee of $1,185, which is independent of the other courses on your semester schedule. Once you register for the BUS 714 course, tuition payment of $1,185 is due within five calendar days. Students enrolled in this class will receive a Credit/No Credit grade after completing the course.
When searching for the course on the class schedule, select Spring 2019 for Term, select Business under Subject, and then type 714 for course number and you should see the course listed. Please keep in mind that you need to complete this course in your first semester, so you will need to plan your other courses around the BUS 714 class.
Note regarding Financial Aid and the BUS 714 class: If you have been approved for Financial Aid, please note that the BUS 714 class may not qualify as units towards financial aid, since it is offered through the College of Extended Learning. Please contact the Financial Aid office for more details.
8. RSVP for the required College of Business orientation on January 24, 2019
A required all-day orientation for new incoming MBA, MSBA and MSA students will be held on Thursday January 24, 2019 from 9:30 am - 6:30 pm at the SF State Downtown Campus 6th floor. Please mark your calendar. A detailed agenda and rsvp link will be posted here in early January.
And the Office of International Programs on the Main Campus holds a Welcome Check-in day for new international students. More information can be found on the OIP website.
9. Get your SF State Student ID once you have enrolled in Spring 2019 classes
There are two ways to get your student ID (new OneCard Gator Pass):
- Go to the Main Campus at 1600 Holloway Avenue and stop by the One Stop office in the Student Services building during their open hours. They can take your photo and give you a student ID card right away.
- Take your student ID photo during orientation day on January 24th at the Downtown Campus. Your photo will be sent to the Main Campus One Stop office where a student ID card will be issued and delivered back to the Downtown Campus within one week.
For more information on the new OneCard Gator Pass, please go to SF State's website at http://onecard.sfsu.edu/home
Contact the Graduate Business office at email@example.com or call 415.817.4300
And don't forget to connect with us!