Information for students admitted to the Fall 2018 MBA, MS in Accountancy, or MS in Business Analytics programs
(updated July 12, 2018)
There are a few to-dos to take care of before you start the Fall 2018 semester on Monday, August 27, 2018:
- accept your admissions offer
- submit official transcripts
- submit proof of immunization
- submit a business course waiver request: MBA and MSAs
- submit your Financial Aid application
- plan course selection for your first semester
- register for classes starting in June
- mark your calendars to attend the required orientation in August
1. Accept your admissions offer
All students admitted to our programs should indicate their decision on accepting their admission offer via the SF State Gateway website within three weeks from their admission date. If you have not done so already, please access the Gateway link to indicate your decision. A response is required in order to start the matriculation process of registering for classes and to sign up for an San Francisco State email account. All communications from the University will be sent to students to their school email address once they are enrolled in the program.
2. Submit Official Transcripts
The Division of Graduate Studies requires applicants to submit official academic documents from all higher education institutions attended. Please submit one official sealed transcript from all colleges, universities and community colleges attended. Visit the University's Required Academic Documents for details. Students who have taken classes at San Francisco State do not need to submit an SF State transcript.
Submit or mail your official transcripts to:
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, ADM 250
San Francisco, CA 94132
Our University accepts electronic transcripts from universities within the U.S. You can check to see if your college or university can email your transcript directly to San Francisco State to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any international transcripts must include originals plus a certified English translation. If official transcripts do not show the degree conferred, then a copy of the diploma with a certified English translation is required. International students should review the information about specific Requirements by Country.
3. Submit proof of immunization
All admitted students must meet SF State's immunization requirements. Please refer to the San Francisco State Immunization Requirements page. You can submit proof of immunization before the start of the program.
4. MBA and MS in Accountancy students may submit a business course waiver request
Students who have completed Business courses within the past seven (7) years with at least a B- or better grade, could be eligible to waive the equivalent SF State 700-level course. You may submit a waiver request any time before August 20, 2018, however we encourage you to submit the waiver form and required supporting documents as soon as possible to better plan your courses. You will receive an email from our office with the decision from our faculty within two to three weeks of receipt of your request.
Students must complete the following steps:
- Fill out the course waiver request form (pdf). A listing of our 700-level business course descriptions is found in the bulletin at http://bulletin.sfsu.edu/courses/bus/.
- Submit a copy of your transcript from the college(s) where you completed the business courses and circle the courses to be reviewed.
- Submit a course syllabus or detailed course outline for each of the business courses you have taken in the past seven years at a college or university. International Students will need to submit fully translated copies of syllabi or course outlines.
- Email the waiver form, copy of transcripts and course syllabi to: Ms. Armaan Moattari, Assistant Director of Admissions, at email@example.com.
Please note: If you have received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from an AACSB-accredited school in the past seven years with a GPA of 3.0 or better in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units of coursework, you do not need to submit the form or any documents. You will automatically receive an approved waiver letter from our office via email.
5. Submit your Financial Aid application (U.S. citizens and residents)
MBA and MSA students who are considering financial aid, may refer to the San Francisco State Financial Aid webpage.
Please note the FAFSA deadline for the State of California is March 1, 2018. If you missed the deadline, you may still file the FAFSA application but the award decision may be delayed. If you have questions about financial aid, please contact Mr. Jimmie Wilder at 1-415-338-7000 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Plan course selection for your first semester
The following information is to assist you as you plan your courses for the Fall 2018 semester. The class schedule is available on the SF State Class Schedule page.
MSA students: refer to the MSA website, and the MSA course requirement chart for students with a bachelor's degree in Accounting (pdf) or the MSA course requirement chart for students without an Accounting degree (pdf).
MS in Business Analytics students: refer to our MSBA website for a list of course requirements.
7. Register for classes
Early course registration period for Fall 2018 starts in June, while other registration periods continue into August. New incoming students may register any time after their assigned registration date. Please refer to your student information page on the SF State Gateway webpage to view your assigned start date to register for courses. Tuition payment is required right after students register for classes.
Early Course Registration
- June 7–July 20, 2018
- Students can register for up to 9 units during this time.
- Tuition payment deadline during early registration is July 23, 2018, at 4 p.m.
Priority Registration Period
- July 30–August 10, 2018
- Students may register for up to 15 units.
- Tuition payment deadline during priority registration time is August 13, 2018, at 4 p.m.
Students admitted as Conditional are required to take BUS 714 Business Writing
New students who are admitted conditionally (based on the writing score on the GMAT or GRE) are required to take the BUS 714 Elements of Business Writing class in their first semester at San Francisco State. If you are conditionally admitted and required to take this course, it will be stated on your admission letter as well as on your SF State Gateway student center. This three-unit course is offered through San Francisco State Univeristy College of Extended Learning.
How to Register for BUS 714
Please keep in mind that you need to complete this course in your first semester, so you will need to plan your other courses around the BUS 714 class. The BUS 714 course is listed on the regular online class schedule and is open for registration beginning July 30, 2018. For the Fall 2018 semester, there are three sections offered: 6:30 to 9:15 pm on Wednesdays, 2 to 4:45 pm on Thursdays and 6:30 to 9:15 pm on Thursdays, all held at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus. The class is offered through the College of Extended Learning and the course fee is US$1,185, independent of the other courses on your semester schedule. Once you register for BUS 714, course payment is due within five calendar days. Students receive a credit/no credit grade upon completing the course.
To search on the class schedule:
- select Fall 2018 for Term
- select Business under Subject
- type 714 for course number
- you should now see the course listed
Note: If you have been approved for financial aid, BUS 714 may not qualify as units towards financial aid, since it is offered through the College of Extended Learning. Please contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
8. Mark your calendars to attend required orientation in August
The MBA, MSA and MS in Business Analytics orientation is scheduled on Thursday, August 23, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, 6th floor. An RSVP link and agenda will be posted later this summer. International students are also required to attend the mandatory orientation days organized by the Office of International Programs on the San Francisco State University Main Campus between August 20 and 24, 2018. See the OIP website for details.
We're here to answer your questions!
Contact the Graduate Business office at email@example.com or call 415.817.4300
And don't forget to connect with us!