Another Source’s client, Stanford University, is recruiting a Payroll Accounting Manager to join their team at the new Redwood City campus.
Here’s a little about Stanford and the position they are recruiting for:
Impact a Legacy
Consider all the lives saved over the many years as a result of Stanford’s innovation in the medical field. Imagine a world without the internet and social platforms. Did you know Stanford pioneered the procedure for organ transplants and also created the first website in the United States? All of these advances and more, are a direct result of Stanford University’s prominent faculty, researchers and alumni, who have revolutionized the way we live and enriched the world. Supporting this mission is Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff, who come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere.
In a highly complex and constantly changing backdrop, the University Controller’s Office is responsible for creating an environment which promotes innovative and sound business policies and practices that balance controls, compliance and customer service. The organization consists of approximately 95 professionals, responsible for a broad range of financial activities, including Capital Accounting, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Fund Accounting, Investment Accounting, Payroll, Student Accounting and Tax Compliance.
Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open this spring, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff whose jobs are important to supporting the university’s mission. The campus brings departments together in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford’s culture and mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a child care center for Stanford families. https://redwoodcity.stanford.edu/
The Payroll Compliance & Accounting Manager will have responsibility for a range of compliance, accounting and analytical activities in support of the University’s payroll function. The Manager, leading a team of three, will have full responsibility for managing payroll tax, I-9 and other related compliance and regulatory requirements for the University. As part of the Controller’s Office team, you will be integral to our mission of leading and managing the financial activities of the University. Within our culture of collaboration, you will be encouraged to refine and streamline processes, shaping the direction of this position and enhancing your opportunities for professional development.
- Identify and resolve issues which may span multiple areas by applying ingenuity and creativity to problem analysis and resolution. Establish overall objectives or direction for a unit, project or operational area, and raise issues to senior managers as appropriate.
- Oversee report preparation and analysis requiring the consolidation of multiple data points. Contribute to projects in work area or unit; make decisions determining approach to managing and completing processes.
- Plan, direct, and monitor all budgets for areas of responsibility. Manage business operation and administration of a functional unit or area.
- Communicate financial and accounting policies and procedures; ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness for management financial processes and reports.
- Contribute to solutions that may affect policy changes or the development of new controls or processes; collaborate with internal partners.
- Respond to customer or service desk inquiries, monitor performance of unit and error rates, and escalate issues per service level agreement.
- Provide consulting advice to internal and external organizations; serve as a resource on matters that require specific technical, financial, or subject matter expertise.
- Collaborate with other colleagues on cross functional and university wide projects.
- Serve as a representative to external organizations for providing solutions to issues with significant impact.
- Engage in analysis of existing systems, policies, and procedures, and recommend and implement solutions.
- Delegate and manage the work of other employees. Make hiring decisions, provide coaching, training, and mentoring, and manage performance. Contribute to succession planning within area of responsibility.
- * Other duties may also be assigned
- TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BRING:
- Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree plus six years of applicable experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft applications, such as Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Knowledge and ability to apply GAAP.
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting systems.
- Strong analytical skills to review and analyze complex financial information.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic management skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing people.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to provide formal and informal training.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft, with proven ability to apply knowledge to understand new systems and processes.
- Hands-on experience with payroll tax reporting obligations, including issuance of Form W-2, filing of Form 941 and other related compliance activities.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to balance operational and reporting deadlines with progress on longer-term data analysis projects.
- Experience in analyzing processes and trends, recommending and implementing solutions to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and accuracy of data.
- Ability to handle complex customer service issues in a professional manner, exercising good judgment in dealing with sensitive issues.
- An understanding of I-9 and E-Verify policies, and immigration regulations, is desirable.
- Proven ability to apply knowledge to analyze and interpret business policies and external regulations and translate them into compliant and efficient processes.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Please apply using this application link: https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oZGK9fwi&s=School