This is an instructional student assistant (ISA) position. Refer to CSU salary schedule for more information.
Semester to Semester (with option to extend)
The Campus Academic Resource Program (CARP) is a peer to peer tutoring and academic support service for undergraduate students at SF State. CARP’s Business Tutors provide support for students in business, accounting and finance courses. Preference is given to students who are Business majors but, candidates who demonstrate mastery of business concepts, regardless of major, may apply. Preference will also be given to students who can work limited training hours at the end of Spring 2018 before starting a full schedule in Summer and/or Fall 2018.
- Provide tutoring services for undergraduate students seeking assistance with undergraduate level business courses.
- Facilitate tutorial sessions with individual students or small groups. On occasion, facilitate regular sessions with the same student(s) throughout a semester.
- Prepare and present workshops which may occur outside of the tutor’s regularly scheduled hours. These workshops run from 60-90 minutes and cover topics related to business.
- Participate in CARP’s fellowship program, where the tutor is embedded in a course for the duration of the semester to provide supplemental support to students.
- Assist with publicizing CARP’s services to the SF State community, most notably through presenting short information sessions in various courses.
- Develop handouts and other supplemental materials in collaboration with the Math, Science, and Business (MSB) Coordinator and Lead Tutor.
- Have completed the following courses (or equivalent courses from other universities), and passed them with a grade of B or better:
- College Algebra (MATH 60/70)
- Business Calculus (DS 110 or Math 110)
- Business Statistics I (DS 212)
- Introduction to Financial Accounting (ACCT 100)
- Introduction to Managerial Accounting (ACCT 101)
- Business Finance (FIN 350) (Preference)
- All other business and math courses listed on transcripts will also be taken into consideration.
- Be patient and willing to support students.
- Be able to empathically and interactively communicate with others.
- Be able to speak in front of large audiences.
- International students must refer to SF State’s policies for hiring international students.
Please submit the following to the Math, Science, and Business Unit Coordinator (either in person at HSS 346 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A cover letter.
- A resume that clearly articulates skills relevant to the successful execution of the Business Tutor position.
- Unofficial college transcripts from all institutions you have attended.
- The Student Work Availability Form (found on Jobs page of the CARP website).
- During Summer Session, Applicant must be available to work between 12 to 20 hours/week during CARP’s regular tutoring hours (Monday – Thursday 10am – 3pm).
During Fall and Spring, applicant must be available to work at least 12 hours/week during CARP’s Regular Tutoring Hours (Monday-Thursday 4pm- 8pm, and Friday 11am – 2pm) and 2 hours/week outside of CARP’s Regular Tutoring Hours.
Preference given to candidates who have additional availability outside of their tutoring hours and class schedule in order to present workshops and participate in other projects.