The Commercial Real Estate Alliance for Tomorrow’s Employees (CREATE) is a collaborative effort between leading commercial real estate companies and service firms to address the industry’s growing workforce challenges throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
CREATE now assists San Francisco State University's College of Business to develop future global leaders through its brand new CREATE Fellows Program. The one-year program prepares students to be job-ready in the commercial real estate market, and runs two semesters from September 2017 to May 2018. There are eight classes each semester, covering topics such as Leasing & Marketing, Asset Management, and Construction & Project Management. This is your opportunity to enter the field of commercial real estate, an industry that is rapidly changing due to factors such as shifts in demographics and advances in technology. There is no cost to become a CREATE Fellow.
- Learn about crucial commercial real estate principles and real world applications
- Building tours, job shadow, and mentoring opportunities
- Professional development workshops and events designed for young professionals in the commercial real estate industry
- Access to key online resources and tools with the latest information about the commercial real estate industry
- Strengthen professional skills that are in demand for any workplace environment including communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Develop and network with a community of peers, mentors, and leaders in the commercial real estate industry
Attending an information session is a terrific way to learn more about the CREATE Fellows Program and all it has to offer you. Joining an online or in-person session starts you on the path to a possible career in commercial real estate.
- in-person sessions held on the main campus: July 12, 18 or Aug. 1
- online sessions: July 14, 21, 26 or Aug. 3
Join a session today by visiting the College of Business calendar and RSVP-ing for the date that best meets your schedule.
Date and Location
The program run Wednesdays from 4 to 6 p.m. at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, 835 Market Street, Room 597.
|Fall 2017||September 6||Welcome Reception and Orientation/Course Overview|
|September 20||Communication Skills|
|October 4||Property Management 1 (Overview/Operational Basics)|
|October 18||Property Management 2 (Major Building Components)|
|November 1||Critical Thinking Skills|
|November 15||Leasing & Marketing 1(Broker View of Leasing Process, Owner/Asset Manager/Property Manager Role)|
|November 29||Leasing & Marketing 2 (Understanding the Lease)|
|December 6||Problem Solving & Teamwork Skills|
|Spring 2018||January 31||Brief Welcome: Cover Letter and Resume Writing|
|February 14||Asset Management 1 (Acquisition & Disposition Strategies)|
|February 28||Asset Management 2 (Overseeing the Portfolio, Understanding,& Communicating Owner Objectives)|
|March 14||Interview Techniques & Etiquette|
|March 28||Mock Interviews|
|April 11||Construction & Project Management|
|April 25||Understanding Other Property Types: Corporate Real Estate, Retail Mixed Use, Industrial|
|May 9||Summary Class: Putting It All Together/Closing|
- Domestic student (unfortunately, international students are not eligible to apply at this time)
- Must be a College of Business sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student across all concentrations
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must be genuinely interested in exploring commercial real estate
- Expected to make a one-year commitment if selected for the program
Application and Interview Process
Twenty-five students will be selected for the inaugural cohort of students. To apply, fill out the online application at the bottom of the page. As part of the application, you will need to submit the following materials:
- Brief statement on why you're is interested in exploring commercial real estate
Students will be contacted for a brief interview for acceptance into the Fellows Program.
The application deadline is on August 7, 2017.