Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program Seeks Volunteers
News + Events : Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program Seeks Volunteers
Last tax season, the contributions from volunteers made the SF State VITA program very successful and its achievements have been recognized by the Western Region IRS.
The SFSU Vita program is now recruiting volunteers to continue its success in the upcoming tax season.
To achieve our goals, we are seeking enthusiastic and passionate individuals to volunteer with the SF State VITA program for the upcoming tax season.
VITA is open to all students from any major—you do not have to be an accounting or even a business major.
Volunteers are expected to attend four comprehensive tax sessions from January 6 to 9 2014. Volunteers are expected to commit a minimum of two hours a week from January 27 to the end of April.
All volunteers are scheduled for a short interview with one of the officers from November 4 to 18.
You'll find endless opportunities and benefits of being a VITA volunteer including:
- a recognition certificate from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- a valuable remark on your résumé a great career builder
- opportunity to become a member of the Tax Professional Organization and netwokr with tax professionals
- free training and textbooks
How you can be part of the VITA program
Take these four steps and be a part of the SF State VITA program today!
1) Attend the SFSU VITA Information Session
- Thurs., Oct. 17, 2013, 5–6:30 p.m.
- Cesar Chavez Student Center, Rosa Park A-C room
- Join our SFSUVITA Facebook Group
- Sign up for an interview through Google Drive link posts on the Facebook Group.
- Bring your completed application, student ID, and résumé on the day of interview.
- The application will be posted on the Facebook Group after the information session.
The deadline to join the SFSU VITA Facebook Group and sign up for interview is November 1, 2013.
Here are details from the successful 2013 filing season!
- 1,441 total individuals and families served
- 1,284 total e-filed federal returns
- 1,237 total e-filed CA returns
- 157 total paper filed returns
- 114 non-resident returns prepared for international students
- 95.3% e-file acceptance rate
- 194 volunteers (all SFSU students and alumni)
- 6,982 volunteer hours
- $1,137,096 total federal refund amount
- $148,770 total CA state refund amount
- $362,340 total Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
For more information, please contact:
- Stephanie Xu, director of VITA, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yvonne Li, assistant director of VITA, at email@example.com
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) is a national program providing free assistance to low income, elderly, limited English proficient and disabled individuals who require assistance in preparing their tax returns. Our mission is to provide assistance to individuals who cannot afford the services of a paid professional tax preparer.
Help SF State carry on the VITA tradition
We need great volunteers for the upcoming tax season. Last year we were recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and CPA firms. Thanks to Moss Adam's generous donation, we now have more equipment to pursue our mission.
Please join us as we continue to be the most successful and largest VITA site in the Bay Area, and earn valuable business experience at the same time!