Are you ready?
Do you have a great idea for a new gadget, app, or a new way of getting things done? Do you ever wonder how people manage to turn their ideas into real products or services? Do you dream of having the freedom to create your own career path?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then now’s the time to learn everything you need to know about starting and launching your own company and guiding it to the next level!
Silicon Valley was the first cradle of innovation where new technologies and companies were born like never before. Now San Francisco, the Bay Area and the other parts of the world are emerging as world-class clusters of creativity and innovation. San Francisco’s flourishing tech industry and San Francisco State’s deep and diverse pool of talented and energetic students have created the perfect setting for a new Innovation and Entrepreneurship Fellows program.
The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Fellows program is a collaborative effort between MUFG Union Bank and San Francisco State University College of Business to develop a diverse cohort of talented entrepreneurs who know how to successfully launch and build a company.
About the Program
The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Fellows Program is designed to prepare students to become global leaders as they develop the skills to become entrepreneurs by launching a successful business.
As a Fellow, you will learn how to use tools that help you generate ideas for new products or services, work with a diverse team toward a common goal, analyze who your customers are and how to find them, prepare a business plan, raise capital, and pitch your start-up to venture capitalists and other investors. You will work with a team of other students to create, launch and operate an actual online company with the assistance of mentors from the business community.
This program runs for two semesters, from September 2018 to May 2019, with six two-hour workshops (held Fridays, noon–2 p.m.) each semester.
Topics covered during the program include:
- idea generation
- market assessment
- team-building and leadership
- product and technology development
- preparing a business and marketing plan
- pitching to investors
- raising capital
- launching and operating a business
This is not a for-credit course. It’s a chance to learn valuable business skills and do something innovative and rewarding!
Who is eligible?
Domestic and international students from all SF State colleges and majors are encouraged to apply. The Fellows program succeeds only when students with diverse interests and backgrounds participate.
- Full-time status as a SF State sophomore, junior or senior student from any college and concentration. Must remain a full time student through May 2019
- Minimum SFSU GPA of 2.0
- Must commit to attend all 12 workshops over two semesters if selected for the program
- Entrepreneurial Spirit (creative/disruptive/collaborative)
- No prior business or technology experience is required
- A high degree of curiosity, creativity and drive
ApplyThe application deadline was Friday, August 10, 2018. The application process is now closed.
The selected student fellows will be announced on Friday, August, 24, 2018.
Student benefits include:
- learn how to turn your ideas into launching a business
- skill development workshops and events designed for young professionals
- develop a network of peers, mentors, alumni, and leaders in the venture capital industry
- work with like-minded individuals in a team with diverse interests, skills and backgrounds
- participate in a pitch competition
Program Dates & Location
The program runs on alternating Fridays beginning September 7, 2018, from noon to 2 p.m., and is held at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, 835 Market Street, room DTC 613.
Questions or need more information?
Please contact Manny Nungaray at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Special thanks to MUFG Union Bank, N.A.
We extend our appreciation to our corporate partner MUFG Union Bank for their investment to the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Fellowship program, a first for the College of Business at San Francisco State University. Thanks to their generosity, we can prepare students to become global leaders as they develop entrepreneurial skills by launching a successful startup.