Undergraduate Students : Withdrawal and Retroactive Withdrawal
Fourth through Thirteenth Week of Instruction
- From the fourth to the thirteenth week of instruction, withdrawal from a course may be permissible. The student’s permanent record will show a ‘W’ grade. However, such grades will not be used to compute a student’s GPA. Obtain and complete a withdrawal form online at http://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/forms/regforms/withdrawal.pdf
- Print out an unofficial transcript and obtain instructor’s approval signature.
- You do not need the Department Chair, Dean, or Action by Board of Appeal and Review. Drop off form and unofficial transcript to the course department office (SCI 300: ACCT, FIN, IBUS, MKTG; BUS 310: DS, ISYS, MGMT, HTM). The department office will approve/deny petition on behalf of the dean and submit form to registrar’s office.
Withdrawal from the University
A student may withdraw completely from the university for serious and compelling reasons or in verified cases of accident or serious illness. Withdrawal forms are available online at http://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/forms/regforms/withdrawal.pdf.
Students do not need to obtain instructor, department chair, or college dean signatures. Submit all supporting documentation and forms for withdrawal from the university to the registrar for board review.
Retroactive Withdrawal from Course (coursework from a previous semester)
Students with valid, extenuating circumstances may petition a retroactive withdrawal from a course taken during a previous semester. Form must be accompanied by a written statement indicating why the student was not able to withdraw during the semester in which the course was taken. In addition, any kind of supporting documentation that will assist in the evaluation of the retroactive withdrawal must be submitted. Retroactive withdrawals will not be reviewed without supporting documentation.
- Obtain and complete a retroactive withdrawal form online at: http://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/forms/regforms/retrowithdrawal.pdf
- Bring all supporting documentation and form and obtain the instructor’s signature and then the department chair’s signature. Office hours can be found outside of BUS 112 or online at: http://cob.sfsu.edu/cob/directory.
- Bring all supporting documentation and form to BUS 112. At the end of each month, a CoB committee will review the petition for approval or denial.
Retroactive Withdrawal from University
A student may withdraw completely from the university for serious and compelling reasons or in verified cases of accident or serious illness. Retroactive withdrawal forms are available in BUS 112 or online at http://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/forms/regforms/retrowithdrawal.pdf
Students do not need to obtain instructor, department chair, or college dean signatures. Submit all supporting documentation and forms for retroactive withdrawal from the university to the registrar for board review.
Note: deadlines differ during summer and winter session. Please go to the College of Business Student Services Center, BUS 112, for policies and procedures.