Hotel & Restaurant Foundation Scholarship Program
College of Business : Scholarship Detail : Hotel & Restaurant Foundation Scholarship Program
Hotel & Restaurant Foundation Scholarship Program for Academic Year 2011-2012
The Foundation endeavors to identify and reward the best and brightest of the hospitality industry's next generation of leaders. To do so, each year it asks students meeting certain basic requirements to complete and submit an application, write a short essay, and appear before an industry interview panel.
The basic requirements are:
- Two-year students must have completed at least one semester as a designated culinary arts or hospitality management major. Four-year students must have completed one semester as a designated hospitality management major.
- Carrying at least 12 units at the time application is made
- Have earned a 2.7 overall GPA for semesters completed and/or a 3.0 GPA for all completed culinary arts or hospitality management courses.
- Pursuing an associate or bachelor degree at a college or university designated by Foundation donors and trustees.
- Verifiable hospitality industry work experience
- For four-year students only, a current verifiable extra-curricular activity
Scholarship grants are available in the following categories:
- Category A - Students in a two-year degree culinary arts and hospitality studies program
- Category B - Students in a four-year program
- Category C - International students studying on a student visa in a degree culinary arts or hospitality management at a two-year or four-year school
- Category D - Students in a two-year degree culinary arts and hospitality studies program that are matriculating to a four-year hospitality management program in school year 2010-2011
Applicants are judged on leadership capabilities, industry experience, communication skills (both written and verbal), and clarity of personal and career goals.
Completed application forms and essays must be received at the Foundation office by Friday, October 28, 2011. Interview dates will be determined and scholarship recipients will be announced in April. The selected Hotel & Restaurant Foundation scholarship recipients will be introduced to donors and the industry at an awards luncheon to be held in September. Scholarship payments will be made when evidence of current registration in at least 12 units has been received by the Foundation.
Applications are available at: http://www.hospitalityscholarships.org/application.html