VITA Site Recognized for Outstanding Performance
News + Events : VITA Site Recognized for Outstanding Performance
SFSU VITA Site Recognized for Outstanding Performance
During 2006 Tax Filing Season<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /?>
Powered by 120 College of Business Accounting student volunteers, SFSU VITA has been given an award from the IRS for its "OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE" during the period of January 2006-April 2006.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) is a national program providing free assistance to low income, elderly, limited English proficient and disabled individuals who require assistance in preparing their tax returns and cannot afford the services of a paid professional tax preparer. From a beginning of 12 returns with 5 or 6 volunteers, the VITA site at SFSU todayÂ is one of the largest in San Francisco.Â Read more about what VITA is and does.
Here's what Albert Moe, Student VITA Coordinator, wrote:
On behalf of the 2006 SFSU VITA team, I am delighted to write this letter to recognize SFSU VITA siteâ€™s outstanding performance.
First of all I would like to thank the SFSU VITA volunteers who contributed 2,862 hours and helped us serve 600 taxpayers during the 2006 Tax Filing Season.
With 120 SFSU volunteers and an $800 donation from Beta Alpha Psi-Beta Chi Chapter, the 2006 SFSU VITA team achieved the following amazing numbers:
$419,982 in Federal refunds filed for clients ($124,372 last year: 338% increase)
- $120,939 in Earned Income Credits ($59,021 last year: 205% increase)
- $39,583 in <?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /?><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /?>California refunds filed for clients ($11,567 last year: 342% increase)
- 600 individuals, families and sole-proprietors served in the community
- 522 E-file returns (252 E-file returns last year: 207% increase)
- 160 volunteers trained (120 SFSU site, 40 deployed to coalition sites)
- #2 of 15 San Francisco sites in volume and quality
- #2 site in volume with over 1,000 E-filed tax returns (incl. Fed and CA)
- #2 site in highest quality with a 92% acceptance rate on transmitted returns
The SFSU VITA site was the only site granted permission by the IRS to handle more complicated tax returns. These included higher income limits, investments, small businesses, self-employed contractors, sole-proprietors, partnerships and more.
Finally, the SFSU VITA site could not achieve the great success of the 2006 Tax Filing Season without the support of the following individuals: Patrick Brown (IRS), Edward Sutton (EA), William Mac (Site Manager), John Acheson (Assistant Manager), and Pat Cierra and Sandy Lee (College of Business, Accounting Department), SFSU VITA supervisorsâ€™ team and all SFSU VITA volunteers for their great work and commitment to the community.
Beta Alpha Psi-Beta Chi Chapter
San Francisco State University