VITA tax assistance available now on campus
News + Events : VITA tax assistance available now on campus
The national Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free assistance in the preparation of tax returns to low income, elderly, limited English proficient and disabled individuals.
The SF State chapter of VITA has more than 200 volunteers per semester, who attend IRS-certified training at the beginning of each tax season, learning about tax practices and then putting the knowledge into practice by assisting people with tax preparation.
The VITA site is now open to the public for drop-in tax help. Assistance is provided through April 17. Free tax preparation services is provided to individuals with a non-rental income under $50,000.
Those seeking assistance should bring:
- photo ID for each person on your tax return
- Social Security card (or ITIN) for each person on your tax return
- all W-2 forms for all jobs held in 2011
- all 1099/1098s and any other tax form
- last year's (2010) tax return
- voided check or bank account and routing number for direct deposit
- childcare provider information
- landlord's name, address and phone number for CA Renter's Credit
- Monday through Friday, 12:30 to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Location: Science Bldg., room 205
For more information, visit http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~bap/vita or call (415) 338-1079.