Volunteer Income Tax Assistance: Q & A
News + Events : Volunteer Income Tax Assistance: Q & A
What is VITA?
VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. The SF State VITA program, sponsored by the accounting student organization, Beta Alpha Psi, offers free tax preparation services to individuals with low incomes who cannot afford the services of a paid professional tax preparer, the elderly, those with limited English proficiency, and individuals with disabilities who require assistance in preparing their tax returns.
Who are its volunteers?
SF State's VITA site is completely run by SF State students and alumni. All of the volunteers are required to complete a four-day training, pass basic, intermediate, and advance-level tests, and be certified by the IRS as qualified volunteers.
What are some stats illustrating how VITA has helped people?
2008 Tax Season Highlights
- 1,023 individuals and families served in the community
- 980 E-file returns
- $934,345 in Federal refund filed for taxpayers
- $286,208 in Earned Income Credit
- $92,563 in California refunds filed for taxpayers
- 94.46% Acceptance Rate
Has VITA been granted awards by the IRS?
The IRS awarded VITA the National Award for Sustained Superior Performance in an IRS VITA Program for 2008. SF State's VITA program has not only been recognized by the local IRS, but also by the Western region. We've won over any U.C. universities and other highly recognized universities in the Western region.
Who is eligible for your service?
If your 2009 household income is less than $49,000, you can get FREE tax help!
When and where can people seek your help?
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
Science Building, Room 205
Drop In Hours
February 8â€“April 15, Mondayâ€“Friday, 12:30 p.m.â€“6 p.m., Saturday:Â 10 a.m.â€“1 p.m.
What should they bring?
Taxpayers bring your:
- Photo ID
- Social Security or ITIN card of all family members
- All W-2s, 1099s (1042s), and 1098T (if any)
- Bank account and routing if you prefer Direct Deposit
- Last yearâ€™s tax return
Other Income/Expense Information:
- Total tuition fees and expenses
- Total expenses paid for Child/Day Care and Tax ID #
- Landlord information (if any)
- Call (415) 338-1079