VITA program seeks volunteers for another amazing year
News + Events : VITA program seeks volunteers for another amazing year
Last tax season, the contributions from all volunteers made the SF State VITA program very successful and its achievements were recognized by the Western
Region IRS. The Vita program is now recruiting volunteers to continue its success in the upcoming tax season.
VITA stands for volunteer income tax assistance. It is a national program providing free assistance to low income, elderly, limited-English proficient and disabled individuals who require assistance in preparing their tax returns and cannot afford the services of a paid professional tax preparer.
With 150 volunteers and an $800 allocation from Beta Alpha Psiâ€”Beta Chi Chapter, the 2008 SF State VITA team achieved the following amazing numbers:
- 1,023 individuals and families served in the community
- 980 E-file returns
- $934,345 in Federal refund filed for taxpayers
- $286,208 in Earned Income Credit
- $92,563 in California refunds filed for taxpayers
- 94.46% Acceptance Rate
New Goals for a New Year
Two goals for next year are to prepare over 1,000 tax returns and to enhance the tax preparation experience of our volunteers.
To achieve our goals, we are currently seeking enthusiastic and passionate individuals to volunteer with the SF State VITA program in the coming tax season. VITA is open to all students from any majorâ€”you do not have to be an accounting or even a business major.
You'll receive four days of comprehensive tax training from January 11â€“14, 2010, and you must be able to volunteer two hours per week from February to the end of April, 2010. All volunteers will be scheduled for a short interview with one of the officers.
As a VITA volunteer, you'll receive:
- a recognition certificate from the Internal Revenue Service
- a valuable remark on your rÃ©sumÃ©
- a chance to attend the California Tax Education Council (CTEC)
- certificate training for those who fulfilled the requirements of the VITA program
Come to the VITA Information Session and learn more about the program!
- Thurs., Oct. 1, 2009
- 5 to 6 p.m.
- Cesar Chavez Student Center, Rosa Parks A-C
You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about VITA.