Admissions and Application Deadlines
Application deadlines for the MBA, EMBA* and the MS in Accountancy (MSA) programs are the same and are listed below.
The online application, application fee and all documents must be submitted by the deadline. The GMAT or GRE test must also be taken by the deadline.
Please note the different deadlines for domestic applicants (U.S. citizens, permanent residents, H-visa holders) and for international students (F-1 students).
Spring 2016 Application Deadline
The Spring 2016 application deadline is November 1, 2015 for international applicants and November 15, 2015 for domestic applicants.
Your online application and all other documents must be submitted by these deadlines and GMAT/GRE tests must be taken before these dates as well. (The deadline for taking the TOEFL exam is October 15.)
* The EMBA Program is offered once a year and we only accept applications during fall admission term.
Fall 2016 Application Deadlines
The fall 2016 application period opens October 1, 2015.
|Fall 2016 Filing Period||Domestic Students||International Students|
|Round One Deadline||January 15, 2016||January 15, 2016|
|Round Two Deadline||April 1, 2016||April 1, 2016|
|Round Three Deadline||May 15, 2016||May 1, 2016|
Selecting an Application Round for Fall semester
Applicants may choose any of the three rounds in which to submit their application. Do not feel obliged to rush your application. We want to see your best application, but strongly encourage you to apply in the earliest round possible to expedite review. The sooner we have your materials, the sooner we can give you an admissions decision.
SF State Financial Aid
Check the SF State Financial Aid page for the filing period deadline if you plan to apply for financial aid.
Admission to the MBA, EMBA* and MSA program is selective.
The admissions committee reviews an applicant's overall qualifications and takes the following requirements into consideration:
- Completion of a degree equivalent to a four-year U.S. Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
- Grade Point Average: Final GPA of Bachelor’s degree OR last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of college coursework completed, must be at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Or earned a Master’s degree with a 3.0 GPA. Incoming class average GPA is 3.3
- GMAT test*: The verbal, quantitative, writing, and integrated reasoning scores will be evaluated. Incoming class average GMAT score is 570. A writing score of 5.0 or higher on the GMAT is required for Classified Student admission. Minimum writing score of 4.5 may be accepted as Conditional Admission and student must take approved writing course.
- Or GRE test*: The admissions committee is now accepting the GRE test in place of the GMAT.
- Statement of Purpose
- Résumé (three years of full-time work experience is recommended)
- Letters of recommendation from employment supervisors or University professors
- Foreign language test is required of all applicants who have earned their undergraduate degree from a country where the official language is not English. Any of the following tests taken within the past two years are accepted: TOEFL exam minimum score of 96 IBT ( or 243 CBT or 590 PBT), or an IELTS score of at least 7.0, or Pearson Test of English (PTE) academic overall score of 65.
*For the EMBA program, applicants are required to have an interview with the admissions committee in lieu of the GMAT, and also take a writing test. Applicants are required to have a minimum of seven years of work experience.
Students must apply online through CSU Mentor and send to the university an application fee, one copy of their transcripts, a written a statement of purpose, take the GMAT or GRE exam, take TOEFL or IELTS if from a foreign university, submit a résumé and two letters of reference. Please refer to our application checklist.
- Fees & Tuition
- Domestic Graduate Admissions Forms
- International Graduate Admission Forms
- See course times and availability by searching the current Class Schedule.
- Read course descriptions in the current SF State Bulletin.
- Graduate Scholarships And Fellowships
- Financial Aid
Recommendation for International Students
The Graduate Business office recommends that international students study at the American Language Institute (ALI), an intensive English program on the SF State main campus, prior to their MBA or MSA studies. This is strongly recommended if students have not met the GMAT verbal or TOEFL requirements or to improve their English proficiency and academic skills in preparation for graduate study. At the ALI, students have the opportunity to improve lecture listening, note-taking, oral presentation, and academic reading and writing skills. In addition, they will become better oriented with the American educational system. For more information, see American Language Institute.