Assistant Professor, Management
Jennifer Tosti-Kharas has been an Assistant Professor of Management at San Francisco State University since 2009. She received her Ph.D. in Management from the Stern School of Business at New York University. She earned a bachelor's degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, where she majored in Management and Finance.
Dr. T-K is currently involved in a number of research projects that explore employment transitions, specifically career changes both planned and unplanned. She also examines what factors might help people adjust to these changes, focusing on professional identity, viewing work as a calling, and ideologies of social justice and sustainability. Her research has been published in Personnel Psychology, Group & Organization Management, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Journal of Business Ethics, and Journal of Career Assessment.
Dr. T-K has taught courses on organizational behavior, teamwork, leadership, and corporate social responsibility. She currently teaches organizational behavior and leadership at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Prior to entering academia, Dr. T-K worked as a management consultant at Accenture, specializing in strategic analysis for the communications, media, and entertainment industries.
Office Hours: Not available in summer
Location: BUS 341/DTC
Advising Duties: Advisor/UG
- Ph.D., New York University, Stern School of Business
- M.Phil., New York University, Stern School of Business
- B.S., University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School
- Professional identity and identification
- Meaning of work and work as a calling
- Unemployment and job loss
- Career development
- Longitudinal and qualitative research
- Academy of Management
- European Group for Organization Studies
Honors and Awards
- Best Micro Paper Award, Group & Organization Management, 2013
- Presidential Award for Professional Development of Probationary Faculty, San Francisco State University, 2013
- Representative-at-large (elected to three-year position), Academy of Management, Careers Division, 2012-2015
- Best Reviewer Awards, Academy of Management, Careers Division, 2010, 2012
- Award for Ph.D. Teaching Excellence, NYU Stern School of Business, 2007
- Donald and Valerie Honerkamp Fellowship, NYU Stern School of Business, 2007-2008