Associate Professor, Marketing
Gulnur Tumbat received her M.B.A. degree from Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey. After working as a business analyst for Turkish Aerospace Industries for two years, she got her Ph.D. in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing from University of Utah, David Eccless School of Business where she worked with Professor Russell W. Belk. (She also holds BSc and Msc in Environmental Engineering, and published in the same field before getting her MBA and changing her career).
Her main research interests are at the intersections of risk discourses, consumer culture, marketplace dynamics, and technology, where she uses interpretive research tools. She published in prestigious academic outlets such as Journal of Consumer Research, Marketing Theory, Consumption, Markets and Culture, Journal of Consumer Behavior, Advances in Consumer Research, European Advances in Consumer Research, and Handbook of Research on Digital Media and Advertising: User Generated Content Consumption. Her main teaching interests include consumer behavior, advertising, and brand management.
She has been on her sabbatical leave and a visiting professor at Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Location: SCI 353
Advising Duties: Undergrad/ Grad
- risk, consumption, culture, and technology
- interpretive consumer research
- Association for Consumer Research
- American Marketing Association
Honors and Awards
- The Sidney J. Levy Award 2nd Place for The Best Consumer Culture Theory Dissertation Article published in 2010. (2011)
- San Francisco State University Professional Development Council Mini-Grant Award, December 2006 (2006)
- 39th AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Texas A&M University, College Station-TX, June 2004. (2004)
- University of Utah, David Eccles School of Business, Global Business Program Scholarship for Dissertation Research, 2004 (2004)
- First Place People’s Choice Award for the video “Towards a Meaningful Identity: The (F)Utility of Lifestyle Research,” ACR Film Festival, Association for Consumer Research Conference, Oct.2003,Toronto (2003)
- 12th Robert Mittelstaedt Doctoral Symposium Fellow, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Department of Marketing, March 2003 (2003)
- University of Utah, Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) Research Travel Grant, 2002 and 2003 (2002-2003)