Message from the Director
Welcome to the College of Business. The goal of Career Services & Professional Development is to prepare and empower students by providing them with the necessary skills, tools and resources to offer the greatest advantage in today’s competitive job market. On these webpages, you will find a growing menu of career resources, job listings, and networking opportunities. Please refer back often for updates on program offerings. Feel free to contact me to discuss your career goals, job search, internships, and professional development. I look forward to hearing from you.Melanie Summers
Career Services Navigation
- Meet the Team
- Fellows Program
- Job/Internship Postings
- Career Resources
- Spotlight on Career Success
- Alumni Profiles
- Hospitality Tourism & Management
- SFSU Student Involvement & Career Center
- Willie L. Brown Fellowship Program
Meet The Team
Director of Career Services & Professional Development
Melanie has extensive career development and program leadership experience. She served as director of career services at U.C. Berkeley’s Cal Alumni Association for 12 years, where she also ran the Student/Alumni Mentorship Program. Melanie is a proud SF State alumna with a B.A. in psychology, and graduate studies in communicative disorders. She oversees the CoB Fellows Program, employer relations, and the commercial real estate summer internship program.
Laura Shroder, M.S.
Director of the J. Willard & Alice S. Marriott Foundation HTM Global Student Career and Professional Development Program
Laura Shroder has over 10 years of experience in the hospitality industry. She received her bachelor’s degree in hospitality and tourism management from Purdue University and her master’s degree in hospitality and tourism management from Roosevelt University. Laura has worked for various hotel companies including Ritz-Carlton, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, Four Seasons, and Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. Laura is passionate about assisting students with gaining experience and ultimately obtaining successful careers in the industry. In additon, she plans and executes the CSU Northern California Hospitality Career Expo. Laura is also a lecturer in the HTM program.
The Fellows Program at the College of Business introduces students to a network of connections and support comprised of peers, staff, faculty, alumni, and Bay Area business professionals. The Program prepares students to become competitive in today’s job market. Visit the Fellows page.
Take advantage of this comprehensive, categorized listing of job search and career development online resources.
Spotlight on Career Success
The value of an SF State education when combined with strong engagement in College of Business programs and offerings has helped these alumni in their career paths. We proudly share their career success stories.
Post a job
The College of Business is interested in helping you successfully fill your available positions. Post a job or internship.
Partner with us
Partnering with the College of Business gives you access to some of the best and brightest talent. We offer on-campus interviews, pre-screening of candidates, speaking engagement opportunities and job postings. We work with you to ensure success. Contact Melanie Summers at email@example.com
Hospitality & Tourism Management
The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation HTM Global Student Career and Professional Development Program at San Francisco State prepares Hospitality and Tourism Management students for successful careers in the global hospitality and tourism industry. Students receive individualized career counseling in the Business building, room 137.
The goals of the program focus on:
- expanding the development of students’ professional skills, including written and oral communications, leadership training, business etiquette, cultural and global awareness
- strengthening students’ abilities to self-manage their careers through programs grounded in self-analysis, résumé development, practice interviewing, and job searching skills
- enhancing interactions between students and industry professionals through on campus career events and networking opportunities, on-campus interviews with employers, and contacts with international companies
- providing recruitment opportunities for hotel management companies, with a special emphasis in the placement of international students who return to their home countries
- broadening the availability of internship opportunities for domestic and international students
- support alumni after graduation with job placement and create professional networks for alumni
ContactLaura Shroder, Director
J. Willard & Alice S. Marriott Foundation HTM Global Student Career and Professional Development Program
College of Business
San Francisco State University