A graduate-level academic certificate in accounting is offered to those who wish to reach the eligibility requirement of 150 credits of coursework to practice as a certified public accountant (CPA) in California.
This may also appeal to individuals working in accounting who wish to update their knowledge and skills. Students are able to test the waters before committing to a longer program of study such as our Master of Science in Accountancy (MSA) degree. This program is also appropriate for individuals with accounting degrees from other countries who wish to prepare for the CPA exam by taking courses specific to American accounting regulations.
Who can apply
Individuals with a bachelor’s degree, at least a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, and a basic knowledge of financial accounting provided by the Foundation BUS 780 course (or equivalent, e.g., ACCT 100) are eligible to apply for the certificate.
The certificate offers students flexibility in choosing from a variety of courses in different areas of accounting. The program is held at the San Francisco State University Downtown Campus, close to the financial district with plenty of opportunities for part-time and full-time work.
Develop key skills to prepare you for the certified public accountancy examination and a professional career in accounting, including:
- Financial Reporting
- Business Law
- Cost Accounting
3 courses, a total of 9 units
Students seeking the certificate in accounting must complete any three (9 units) of the following graduate-level Accounting courses. Prerequisites for specific courses are provided in parentheses.
- ACCT 800 Financial Accounting I
- ACCT 801 Financial Accounting II (ACCT 800)
- ACCT 802 Strategic Management Accounting
- ACCT 803 Auditing Principles and Practice (ACCT 800)
- ACCT 804 Legal and Professional Responsibilities in Accounting
- ACCT 811 Introduction to Federal Tax
- ACCT 812 Corporate Taxation (ACCT 811)
- ACCT 818 Accounting Ethics and Fraud (ACCT 800)
- ACCT 831 Financial Statement Analysis
- ACCT 848 Seminar in Cost Accounting
We’re here to answer your questions.
- Jung Hoon Kim (Program Coordinator), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joanne Sopt, email@example.com
- Theresa Hammond, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Katie Hetherington, email@example.com
- Su-Jane Hsieh, firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Applicants will need to complete the Cal State Apply online application for San Francisco State University's graduate programs. Select "Certificate of Accounting" as your program of choice from a pull-down menu. As part of the application process, applicants will need to submit a résumé as well as unofficial transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended.